* Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-01 23:28 Eike Kettner
From: Eike Kettner @ 2016-03-01 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm getting more and more used to view photos in Emacs. I now have a
buffer with thumbnails and when I move in that buffer the image is
selected as expected. However, the selected image is hardly visible as
being selected. A thin dark rectangle is drawn around it. How can I
change that? And how can I make Emacs draw/display another rectangle
around an image, so it may appear as “marked”?

Thanks! and kind regards
Eike

* Re: Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-03 12:18 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-03-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eike Kettner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eike Kettner <eike@eknet.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm getting more and more used to view photos in Emacs. I now have a
> buffer with thumbnails and when I move in that buffer the image is
> selected as expected.

I guess you are speaking of `image-dired'?

> However, the selected image is hardly visible as being selected. A
> thin dark rectangle is drawn around it. How can I change that?

You should be able to find that as a user option.  Try to browse options
with

   M-x customize-group image-dired RET

> And how can I make Emacs draw/display another rectangle around an
> image, so it may appear as “marked”?

Seems this is not implemented (yet).  A feature request (M-x
report-emacs-bug) might be appropriate.  But it might be the case that
this was not implemented by intent.

Regards,

Michael

* Re: Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-03 18:23   ` Eike
From: Eike @ 2016-03-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Michael,

thank you for your reply!

> I guess you are speaking of `image-dired'?

Sorry, I was not precise: I'm using `(insert-image (create-image
…))'.

> You should be able to find that as a user option.  Try to browse options
> with
>
>    M-x customize-group image-dired RET

I didn't really think of image-dired, but I can probably make use of it,
it looks quite feature-rich.

       [not found] <mailman.6506.1456874927.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-03-03 18:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-03-03 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eike Kettner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eike Kettner <eike@eknet.org> writes:

> I'm getting more and more used to view photos in Emacs. I now have a
> buffer with thumbnails and when I move in that buffer the image is
> selected as expected. However, the selected image is hardly visible as
> being selected. A thin dark rectangle is drawn around it. How can I
> change that?

Looking at the code, there seems to be no way to change the width of the
box that's drawn around images (when the cursor is on them).  You can,
however, change the colour.  I use a red cursor myself:

(setq default-frame-alist
      (nconc (list '(mouse-color . "red")
		    '(cursor-type . box)
		    '(cursor-color . "red"))
	     default-frame-alist))

> And how can I make Emacs draw/display another rectangle around an
> image, so it may appear as “marked”?

Hm...  I don't think Emacs has any built-in functionality for doing
that.  I think you'd have to create a new image that has the border you
want, and then composite the thumbnail onto it.

* Re: Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-03 18:55     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-03-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eike <eike@eknet.org> writes:

> Sorry, I was not precise: I'm using `(insert-image (create-image
> …))'.

Then (I'm cusious), why it useful to change how the image is drawn when
it is "marked" (do you mean that it is part of an active region)?

Michael.

* Re: Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-03 20:58       ` Eike
From: Eike @ 2016-03-03 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Then (I'm cusious), why it useful to change how the image is drawn when
> it is "marked" (do you mean that it is part of an active region)?

I was thinking of making a function that marks an image to be able to do
some actions with the selection, like copying, deleting etc. (what I can
do in dired). Working with photos from cameras in dired is not so easy
otherwise.

@ 2016-03-03 21:12         ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-03-03 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eike <eike@eknet.org> writes:

> I was thinking of making a function that marks an image to be able to do
> some actions with the selection, like copying, deleting etc. (what I can
> do in dired). Working with photos from cameras in dired is not so easy
> otherwise.

Well, this indeed matches image-dired quite well, I think.  You can mark
images in image dired, but I think you get no visual feedback.

But the cool thing is that the image-dired is connected with a standard
dired buffer (where the marks then appear and you can do all things one
can do from within dired).  Just try it.

Michael.

* Re: Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-03 21:16   ` Eike
From: Eike @ 2016-03-03 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:

> Looking at the code, there seems to be no way to change the width of the
> box that's drawn around images (when the cursor is on them).  You can,
> however, change the colour.  I use a red cursor myself:
>
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       (nconc (list '(mouse-color . "red")
> 		    '(cursor-type . box)
> 		    '(cursor-color . "red"))
> 	     default-frame-alist))

Thanks!! That is really helpful. And its good enough for me to recognize
selected images. The only side effect is that the normal cursor is red,
too :) but, that's ok for me.

>> And how can I make Emacs draw/display another rectangle around an
>> image, so it may appear as “marked”?
>
> Hm...  I don't think Emacs has any built-in functionality for doing
> that.  I think you'd have to create a new image that has the border you
> want, and then composite the thumbnail onto it.

Yes, I was thinking about that, too. But I was hoping that I just missed
some vars to set :)

Thank you! and kind regards
Eike

--
gpg: AD7AC35E
finger print: 137F BB0B 1639 D25F DC5D E59C B412 C5F5 AD7A C35E

* Re: Change appearance of selected image
@ 2016-03-03 23:12           ` Eike
From: Eike @ 2016-03-03 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Well, this indeed matches image-dired quite well, I think.  You can mark
> images in image dired, but I think you get no visual feedback.
>
> But the cool thing is that the image-dired is connected with a standard
> dired buffer (where the marks then appear and you can do all things one
> can do from within dired).  Just try it.

That sounds indeed like what I want (except the visual feedback).  I'll
look into it. Thank you!

kind regards
Eike