* Handling optional argument with t value
@ 2022-12-04 23:01 Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-12-04 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I have this function to which I am adding the capability to print a compact version
that excludes the whitespace.  Thus I include an optional argument "kpact", so that
when it is set to t, the (insert " ") in excluded.  Is this a good strategy.

Does the use of (unless kpact  (insert " ")) do the job or am I missing some possible
condition that might occur?

(defun ticker-hour (lampkl &optional kpact)
  "TODO."

  (interactive)

  (unless kpact  (insert " "))

  (cond
   ((eq 'magenta lampkl)
       (insert (propertize "⚒"
                 'font-lock-face '(:background "#FF29FF"
                                   :foreground "black"))))
   ((eq 'red lampkl)
       (insert (propertize "⚒"
                 'font-lock-face '(:background "#B30000"
                                   :foreground "black"))))))

* Re: Handling optional argument with t value
@ 2022-12-05 19:16 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

* Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> [2022-12-05 02:02]:
> I have this function to which I am adding the capability to print a
> compact version that excludes the whitespace.  Thus I include an
> optional argument "kpact", so that when it is set to t, the (insert
> " ") in excluded.  Is this a good strategy.

"To print a compact version..." compact version of what?

I understand you wish to print propertized version of some symbol.

If it is good strategy or not, I guess you are the one to
decide. Because it is with special background, I would insert space
before and after, to make it more indicative or to make it more visible.

> Does the use of (unless kpact (insert " ")) do the job or am I
> missing some possible condition that might occur?

You missed to express better what you wish to achieve.

(defun ticker-hour (lampkl &optional kpact)
  "TODO."
  (interactive)
  (unless kpact  (insert " "))
  (cond
   ((eq 'magenta lampkl)
    (insert (propertize
	     "⚒" 'font-lock-face
	     '(:background "#FF29FF" :foreground "black"))))
   ((eq 'red lampkl)
    (insert (propertize
	     "⚒" 'font-lock-face
	     '(:background "#B30000" :foreground "black"))))))

(ticker-hour 'magenta) ⚒
(ticker-hour 'red) ⚒

Heime, don't give up. 🔧

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Handling optional argument with t value
@ 2022-12-05 20:09   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-12-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > I have this function to which I am adding the capability to print a
> > compact version that excludes the whitespace. Thus I include an
> > optional argument "kpact", so that when it is set to t, the (insert
> > " ") in excluded. Is this a good strategy.
>

> "To print a compact version..." compact version of what?
>
> I understand you wish to print propertized version of some symbol.
>
> If it is good strategy or not, I guess you are the one to
> decide. Because it is with special background, I would insert space
> before and after, to make it more indicative or to make it more visible.
>
> > Does the use of (unless kpact (insert " ")) do the job or am I
> > missing some possible condition that might occur?
>
> You missed to express better what you wish to achieve.

I need some advice on how to handle optional arguments, where one either
does not pass it or passes t.

For instance, should I put a default for it, as in (setq kpact (or kpact nil)) ?

Or handle things with a "when", or using some other combination ?

(defun ticker-hour (lampkl &optional kpact)

  (setq kpact (or kpact nil))
  (when () )
)

* Re: Handling optional argument with t value
@ 2022-12-05 23:03     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-12-05 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime wrote:

> I need some advice on how to handle optional arguments,
> where one either does not pass it or passes t.

Optional arguments default to nil so the default version of
the function's behavior should do its thing - the default
thing - when the optional arguments are nil.

If something that isn't default should happen, you can name
the optional argument to describe this, say INSERT, meaning
the default behavior isn't to insert, but with the optional
argument set, the non-default execution kicks in and something
is indeed inserted.

Then the Elisp will look like this:

(when insert
  (insert ...) )

And vice versa, if the default is it _should_ happen, then the
optional argument can be called NO-INSERT

(unless no-insert
  (insert ... ) )

It's up to you to decide what's default and what's
optional/non-default ...

Take a look at this ...

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;
;; this file:
;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/meta.el
;;
;; also see:
;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-version.el
;;
;; example:
;;   GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
;;   of 2022-05-22 [commit 714970f5967f2153bb95e35823dbd917e0e5b60b]

(defun emacs-version-commit (&optional here)
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((ver (replace-regexp-in-string " \\(of\\)" "\\1"
               (format "%s [commit %s]"
                 (emacs-version)
                 (emacs-repository-get-version) ))))
    (when here