* Help with vc-ediff setup
@ 2023-03-09 21:28 Patrick Mahan
From: Patrick Mahan @ 2023-03-09 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

All,

A new part of my job is to review code changes made by programmers I have
been asked to mentor.  I would like to use vc-ediff when doing this, but
unfortunately, due to how IT configures our file permissions, I do not have
write permission in these users directories.  This leads to a failure with
opening 'file'.~branch~.

I have looked through both the VC+.el and ediff.el for clues but I get
hopelessly lost.  So if there is a way to specify creating these temp files
under say /tmp or somewhere I have write access, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Patrick

* Re: Help with vc-ediff setup
@ 2023-03-10  7:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-10  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 13:28:49 -0800
>
> A new part of my job is to review code changes made by programmers I have
> been asked to mentor.  I would like to use vc-ediff when doing this, but
> unfortunately, due to how IT configures our file permissions, I do not have
> write permission in these users directories.  This leads to a failure with
> opening 'file'.~branch~.
>
> I have looked through both the VC+.el and ediff.el for clues but I get
> hopelessly lost.  So if there is a way to specify creating these temp files
> under say /tmp or somewhere I have write access, that would be very helpful.

To allow a more efficient help, would you please show a backtrace from
the "failure with opening 'file'.~branch~"?  It is hard to help
efficiently without even knowing which function signals the error (if
indeed that is your problem), and reproducing your situation with the
few details you posted is not very trivial, either.

* Re: Help with vc-ediff setup
@ 2023-03-10  7:48   ` Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-03-10  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

> To allow a more efficient help, would you please show a backtrace from
> the "failure with opening 'file'.~branch~"?  It is hard to help
> efficiently without even knowing which function signals the error (if
> indeed that is your problem), and reproducing your situation with the
> few details you posted is not very trivial, either.

BTW, I've just tried to reproduce and it works for me: the
'file'.~branch~ is just a buffer with no file associated (so no
permissions issue).  So, as Eli said, we need to know more.
--
Manuel Giraud