* Using Emacs for C programming
@ 2006-07-18 17:35 Kal
From: Kal @ 2006-07-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm new to Emacs and I'm looking for help to use it as an IDE. I've made
some search on google, and found this tool : Xrefactory -
http://www.xref-tech.com/xrefactory/more_c_completion.html

This seems to be very interesting. By the way, this plugin cost 399$ and
it's closed source. So, is it possible to get something similar to this ?

I know the autocompletion key : M-/ but it works only on words already
presents. For example, the first time I type "pri" and press M-/, it
won't complete it to "printf". In fact, i'm looking for a way to get
emacs working as Anjuta/Eclipse/Netbeans.

Why do I want to use Emacs instead of an IDE ?
- It's light
- I can use GDB with it, playing with Makefile
- Reading my mail
- etc...

When I saw that Emacs was able to do all that things, I've decided to
install it and read his integrated tutorial. Now, I want to program, and
look for a way to do it well.

Regards,

Kal

* Re: Using Emacs for C programming
@ 2006-07-18 17:52 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-07-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

these are FAQs, you should google for them...

    Kal> This seems to be very interesting. By the way, this plugin
    Kal> cost 399$ and it's closed source. So, is it possible to get
    Kal> something similar to this ?

You should check out tools like ecb, xcscope.el, xgtags.el

    Kal> When I saw that Emacs was able to do all that things, I've
    Kal> decided to install it and read his integrated tutorial. Now,
    Kal> I want to program, and look for a way to do it well.

The EmacsWiki at

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki

is a good starting point, e.g CategoryProgrammerUtils...

    Kal> Regards,

    Kal> Kal

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

[Featured Creature]

NAME: Ernie

BIO/STATS: Bert's roomate and best buddy. He loves practical jokes.

APPEARANCES: Sesame Street, The Adventures of Elmo Grouchland, and
             many specials and home video.

FAMOUS FOR: Eating cookies in bed.

SPECIAL TALENTS: Singing in the bathtub. (In 1970, the "Rubber Duckie"
                 by Jeff Moss was on the Billboard charts for nine
                 weeks.)

* Re: Using Emacs for C programming
@ 2006-07-18 18:53   ` Kal
From: Kal @ 2006-07-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thorsten Bonow wrote :
> You should check out tools like ecb, xcscope.el, xgtags.el

Ok, thanks for the name. I'm going to have a look on them!

> The EmacsWiki at
>
>     http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki
>
> is a good starting point, e.g CategoryProgrammerUtils...

Nice ! It's an amazing database.

Regards,

Kal