* Dired on DAV repositories?
@ 2006-12-14 13:41 tomás zerolo
From: tomás zerolo @ 2006-12-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello emacs gurus

Reading the elisp sources I somehow get the impression that
it might be possible to use dired to browse collections
served by WebDAV (without using the whole web browsing monster).

But I can't for the life of me find an entry point to this.

Does someone have a pointer and do you want to share it?

Thanks
-- tomás

* Re: Dired on DAV repositories?
@ 2006-12-15  8:03 ` tomás zerolo
From: tomás zerolo @ 2006-12-15  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Following up to self:

Just do M-x url-handler-mode. This works wonderfully for http
But what about dav? (yes, I know dav is http, but if I want to
have a directory (aka collection) listed, url-handler-mode seems
to prefer http (listing the contents of the resource instead of
its directory).

Any pointers?

@ 2006-12-16  9:32 ` tomás zerolo
From: tomás zerolo @ 2006-12-16  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ugh. Following up to self again. So much for bad style; sorry, folks.

But I thought this might help others who like me are too blind to
find relevant docs. In the meantime I found out that:

  * there is a customisation group /Hypermedia/Url
    (and further below, under "Url Hairy" a very nifty
    "Url debug" custom variable, yay!).

  * there is a fine manual (usually installed at top
    level by "make install", named --you guessed it--
    "url".

So I have got some pointers now.

What still bites me is: if I do C-x C-f "http://localhost/path/to/dav/",
url jumps in as a file handler (good!), strips-off the trailins slash
(not-so-good), talks to the server (good!), finds out that the server,
indeed, talks DAV (good!), gets redirected (301) to the slash-ended version
of the URL and thus reverts to plain HTTP (that's at least what the debug
message implies). Grrr.

If any bells ring, let me please know.

@ 2006-12-17  0:33   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-17  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

tomas@tuxteam.de (tomás zerolo) writes:

> Ugh. Following up to self again. So much for bad style; sorry, folks.
>
> But I thought this might help others who like me are too blind to
> find relevant docs. In the meantime I found out that:
>
>   * there is a customisation group /Hypermedia/Url
>     (and further below, under "Url Hairy" a very nifty
>     "Url debug" custom variable, yay!).
>
>   * there is a fine manual (usually installed at top
>     level by "make install", named --you guessed it--
>     "url".
>
> So I have got some pointers now.
>
> What still bites me is: if I do C-x C-f "http://localhost/path/to/dav/",
> url jumps in as a file handler (good!), strips-off the trailins slash
> (not-so-good), talks to the server (good!), finds out that the server,
> indeed, talks DAV (good!), gets redirected (301) to the slash-ended version
> of the URL and thus reverts to plain HTTP (that's at least what the debug
> message implies). Grrr.
>
> If any bells ring, let me please know.

Just wondering if you have checked out eldav, an emacs interface to
webdav. While it might not provide the specific functionality you are
after, it may provide some pointers.

HTH

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Dired on DAV repositories?
@ 2006-12-17  8:04     ` tomás zerolo
From: tomás zerolo @ 2006-12-17  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[eldav]

Thanks, Tim. Actually, eldav is at the moment my other choice.

What makes URL attractive is that it's in core Emacs (at least soon :)
and that it doesn't depend on external programs (eldav uses a little
external utility, nd).

I'm moving slowly forward with URL. By now I know that this directory
functionality in DAV is not (yet) supposed to work (but all the machinery
is in there, that's why I assumed it would work out of the box).

Some patches might fall out in the process, who knows.

Regards
-- tomás