* in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC
@ 2006-10-07  5:18 Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-10-07  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

subject pretty much says it all: I'm using recent Emacs from CVS;
gnome-terminal from recent ubuntu.  Almost everything works
perfectly -- but when I hit C-M-SPC, which I do a _lot_, Emacs "hears"
M-SPC.  (By which I mean if I then type C-h l, I see ESC SPC; or if I
do C-h C-c C-M-SPC it tells me that "M-SPC runs the command
just-one-space".  You get the idea).

Is there some way I can fiddle gnome-terminal to fix this?
--
... democracy is the worst form of government except all those
other forms that have been tried from time to time.

* Re: in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC
       [not found] <mailman.7852.1160198599.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-16 13:40 ` Sam Peterson
From: Sam Peterson @ 2006-10-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

> subject pretty much says it all: I'm using recent Emacs from CVS;
> gnome-terminal from recent ubuntu.  Almost everything works
> perfectly -- but when I hit C-M-SPC, which I do a _lot_, Emacs "hears"
> M-SPC.  (By which I mean if I then type C-h l, I see ESC SPC; or if I
> do C-h C-c C-M-SPC it tells me that "M-SPC runs the command
> just-one-space".  You get the idea).
>
> Is there some way I can fiddle gnome-terminal to fix this?
> --
> ... democracy is the worst form of government except all those
> other forms that have been tried from time to time.
>         -- Winston Churchill, cited at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

What of Esc C-SPC?  Alt is a troublesome key in Window managers.
Doesn't solve your problem, I realize, but if that works then it's
something to do with either gnome-terminal or the Window Manager
capturing it.  So it might be gnome-terminal, or it might be the
Window Manager.

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson At nospam ucdavis.edu

* Re: in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC
@ 2006-10-16 16:03   ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-10-16 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Sam> What of Esc C-SPC?

That works fine, but I'm too lazy to type it.

    Sam> Alt is a troublesome key in Window managers.

In some, perhaps; but I've tamed metacity by telling it not to treat
Alt specially.

    Sam> ... if that works then it's something to do with either
    Sam> gnome-terminal or the Window Manager capturing it.

I'm 99% sure it's gnome-terminal.

--
[Dijkstra's] great strength is that he is uncompromising.  It
would make him physically ill to think of programming in C++.

* Re: in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC
@ 2006-10-16 17:19     ` It's me FKtPp ;)
From: It's me FKtPp ;) @ 2006-10-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Sam> What of Esc C-SPC?
>
> That works fine, but I'm too lazy to type it.
>
>     Sam> Alt is a troublesome key in Window managers.
>
> In some, perhaps; but I've tamed metacity by telling it not to treat
> Alt specially.
>
>     Sam> ... if that works then it's something to do with either
>     Sam> gnome-terminal or the Window Manager capturing it.
>
> I'm 99% sure it's gnome-terminal.

You can start gnome-terminal with 'gnome-terminal --hide-menubar', and
after that, until you access the menu by right-click your Meta key
should never triger the menu ;)

Seems okay, but M-SPC still don't work...