* How do I overload M-q to invoke fill-region only when mark is active?
@ 2006-06-15 16:57 rayz
From: rayz @ 2006-06-15 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to use M-q to invoke fill-region when mark is active.
Otherwise I want it to invoke fill-paragraph.  How do I set this up?

Please respond to the group -- the e-mail address is invalid.  TIA

* Re: How do I overload M-q to invoke fill-region only when mark is active?
@ 2006-06-15 17:32 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-06-15 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Jun 2006 09:57:49 -0700, rayz@phonon.com wrote:

> I'd like to use M-q to invoke fill-region when mark is active.
> Otherwise I want it to invoke fill-paragraph.  How do I set this up?
>
> Please respond to the group -- the e-mail address is invalid.  TIA

You can bind M-q to a function of your own, i.e. with something like
this in your ~/.emacs file:

,----------------------------------------------------------------------
| (defun fill-region-or-paragraph (&optional justify)
|   "Fill the current region or paragraph (depending on `mark-active')
|
| Fill paragraph at or after point when the mark is inactive or if
| the mark and the point are the same.  Fill each of the paragraphs
| in the region when the mark is active and is not equal to the
| current point.
|
| The optional JUSTIFY argument specifies the paragraph
| justification that should be used.  Valid values are all those
| described in the help of the `fill-region' function."
|
|   (interactive "p")
|   (let ((point (point))
|         (mark (and mark-active (mark))))
|     (message (format "justify is %s" justify))
|     (if (and mark (not (equal point mark)))
|         (fill-region (min point mark) (max point mark)
|                      (if (= justify 1)
|                          nil
|                        'full))
|       (fill-paragraph justify))))
|
| ;;; Bind our own `fill-region-or-paragraph' to M-q.
| (global-set-key (kbd "M-q") 'fill-region-or-paragraph)
`----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Re: How do I overload M-q to invoke fill-region only when mark is active?
@ 2006-06-16 17:21   ` rayz
From: rayz @ 2006-06-16 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2006 09:57:49 -0700, rayz@phonon.com wrote:
>
> > I'd like to use M-q to invoke fill-region when mark is active.
> > Otherwise I want it to invoke fill-paragraph.  How do I set this up?
> >
> > Please respond to the group -- the e-mail address is invalid.  TIA
>
> You can bind M-q to a function of your own, i.e. with something like
> this in your ~/.emacs file:
>
> ,----------------------------------------------------------------------
> | (defun fill-region-or-paragraph (&optional justify)
[removed nice documention for brevity]
> |   (interactive "p")
> |   (let ((point (point))
> |         (mark (and mark-active (mark))))
> |     (message (format "justify is %s" justify))
> |     (if (and mark (not (equal point mark)))
> |         (fill-region (min point mark) (max point mark)
> |                      (if (= justify 1)
> |                          nil
> |                        'full))
> |       (fill-paragraph justify))))
> |
> | ;;; Bind our own `fill-region-or-paragraph' to M-q.
> | (global-set-key (kbd "M-q") 'fill-region-or-paragraph)

Thanks so much!

I altered it slightly because fill-paragraph was always doing full
justification.  Then I figured I'd pass the justify parameter along to
fill-region, as well.

So, here's the body of the function I'm using, in case some one else
wants to use it (or, more likely, I mis-place the code and need it
again):