* Strange emacs-X interaction.
@ 2004-07-08 17:40 Omri Schwarz
From: Omri Schwarz @ 2004-07-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, everyone.

I'm managing a machine running Redhat 9 + Fedora Legacy,
one that is showing some strange behavior.
Starting emacs with "emacs -nw" works exactly as expected.
But regular emacs refuses to startup. it just
exits with this error message:

[omri@somehost main]$ emacs
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
[omri@somehost main]$

This is the error message I get for any attempt
to launch emacs in its own window. This happens
when I do --debug-init, and when I've cleared the
X resources database completely.

[root@somehost main]# rpm -q emacs
emacs-21.2-33
[root@somehost main]# emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.2.1

Apart from xrdb, is there anywhere I should look
for more useful information?

Thanks in advance,

Omri

* Re: Strange emacs-X interaction.
@ 2004-07-10 17:10 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-07-10 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Omri Schwarz" <ocschwar@MIT.EDU> writes:

> [omri@somehost main]$ emacs
> Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
> [omri@somehost main]$

Very strange problem.  Try "emacs -q -no-site-file" and also "emacs
-q".  If the first starts up then there must be an error in the init
files, and if the second also starts, then it must in in ~/.emacs.

Kai

* Re: Strange emacs-X interaction.
@ 2004-07-12 15:58 Omri Schwarz
From: Omri Schwarz @ 2004-07-12 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>"Omri Schwarz" <address@bogus.example.com> writes:

>> address@bogus.example.com main]$ emacs
>> Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>> address@bogus.example.com main]$

>Very strange problem.  Try "emacs -q -no-site-file" and also "emacs
>-q".  If the first starts up then there must be an error in the init
>files, and if the second also starts, then it must in in ~/.emacs.

Thank you for your suggestion:

[omri@alpheratz omri]$ /usr/bin/emacs -q
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
[omri@alpheratz omri]$ /usr/bin/emacs -q -no-site-file
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
[omri@alpheratz omri]$ /usr/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

So neither of them start up.

This BTW is the standard RedHat emacs install.
A manual install of gnu.org's emacs works fine.