* define a tab's behavior accounding to the context?
@ 2008-11-12 11:14 anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to let tab unfold the outline-tree when the point is at folded line,
but just as normal tab when at unfolded line?

orgmode's tab behaves like this, I don't know how it does?

* Re: define a tab's behavior accounding to the context?
@ 2008-11-12 11:57 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-12 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@sina.com> writes:

Hi!

> How to let tab unfold the outline-tree when the point is at folded
> line, but just as normal tab when at unfolded line?

I added this functionality, or better a general approach to make context
sensitive keys, as a local hack.  Here it is:

(defmacro define-context-key (keymap key predicate command &optional mode)
  "Bind KEY in KEYMAP to a command which calls COMMAND if PREDICATE is non-nil.

If PREDICATE doesn't match and KEY is normally bound in KEYMAP,
the corresponding default command will be executed.

If KEY isn't normally bound in KEYMAP, MODE (defaulting to
s/KEYMAP/-map//) will be disabled temporally (to prevent an
infinite recursion) and the function which is then bound to KEY
will be called.

Here're two examples:

   ;; TAB on an outline heading toggles visibility in o-m-m
  (define-context-key outline-minor-mode-map
    (kbd \"TAB\")
    ;; This evals to non-nil, if `point' is on a outline-heading
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (line-beginning-position))
      (looking-at outline-regexp))
    outline-toggle-children)

  ;; TAB at end of line insert a TAB character
  (define-context-key outline-minor-mode-map
    (kbd \"TAB\")
    eolp
    self-insert-command)

The context key for KEYMAP and KEY which was given as last has
precedence, so in this example TAB at the end of a line of an
outline heading inserts a TAB and doesn't toggle the visibility."
(let* ((mode (or mode
		 (intern (replace-regexp-in-string "-map" ""
						   (symbol-name keymap)))))
       (default-fun (lookup-key (symbol-value keymap) (eval key))))
  `(define-key ,keymap ,key
     (lambda ()
       ,(concat "Execute " (symbol-name command)
		" if " (format "%s" predicate) " matches.")
       (interactive)
       (if (cond
	    ((user-variable-p (quote ,predicate))
	     ,predicate)
	    ((functionp (quote ,predicate))
	     (funcall (quote ,predicate)))
	    (t
	     (eval ,predicate)))
	   (call-interactively (quote ,command))
	 (if (quote ,default-fun)
	     (call-interactively (quote ,default-fun))
	   (let (,mode)
	     (call-interactively (key-binding ,key)))))))))

The doc string contains the usage you have in mind.

> orgmode's tab behaves like this, I don't know how it does?

The code above will not act exactly as in org, e.g. it won't "cycle".

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: define a tab's behavior accounding to the context?
@ 2008-11-12 12:32   ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-12 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

wow, works like a charm, thank you a lot!