* Opening remote files through proxy gateway
@ 2002-09-08 23:58 int_80h
From: int_80h @ 2002-09-08 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having trouble opening files on a remote server through a proxy
firewall.  Here is the output of the proxy when I ftp to REMOTE
manually (names have been changed to protect the innocent).

ftp REMOTE
Connected to PROXY.
220 aftpd:Check Point FireWall-1 Secure FTP server running on NONAME
Name (PROXY:none):
331 aftpd: RADIUS password: you can use password@RADIUS-password

NOTE: The 331 line about is literally the way it reads.

I talked to the sysadmin and he told do this instead:
1) ftp to the proxy gateway machine PROXY
2) type REMOTEUSERNAME@NTUSERNAME@REMOTE
3) type REMOTEPASSWORD@NTPASSWORD

That worked.

My question is:
How do I configure emacs to do what I did manually to open files on
REMOTE?
I have tried this in my .emacs
(setq ange-ftp-gateway-host "PROXY"
      ange-ftp-smart-gateway-port "PROXYPORT"
      ange-ftp-smart-gateway t
      )
Emacs just hangs when trying to connect, so I cannot see the ftp
buffer to tell you what is going on there.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

int_80h

* Re: Opening remote files through proxy gateway
@ 2002-09-09  9:35 ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 2002-09-09  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

  in8> I talked to the sysadmin and he told do this instead:
  in8> 1) ftp to the proxy gateway machine PROXY
  in8> 2) type REMOTEUSERNAME@NTUSERNAME@REMOTE
  in8> 3) type REMOTEPASSWORD@NTPASSWORD

that sounds pretty convoluted!

Ange-ftp doesn't include any builtin functionality to do this. You
could try to use an ftp client program that is able to send this
password information transparently. The alternative is to modify the
function ange-ftp-smart-login in ange-ftp.el to do what you want.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

* Re: Opening remote files through proxy gateway
@ 2002-09-09 23:26   ` Ayamico Hamasaki
From: Ayamico Hamasaki @ 2002-09-09 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may refer to http://www.khngai.com/emacs/ftp.php , although not
exactly the same.