* track-changes and undo
@ 2024-04-21  8:23 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2024-04-21  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs  (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Hi Stefan,

I noticed your track-changes package on ELPA the other day. Since I once (a long
time ago) wrote a package[1] that uses `before-change-functions` and
`after-change-functions` and that commits all the sins that you mention in your
package description, I thought I might try and base my package on yours.

I quickly found, though, that using your package, I was not able to distinguish
between "normal" changes and change made by undo. Currently, my code uses
`undo-in-progress` for that, but that doesn't work in the SIGNAL function passed
to `track-changes-register`, because the undo has obviously already finished
when that function is run.

So I'm wondering: is there a way to know if a change is made during undo? If
not, would it make sense to add it as an option?

TIA

Joost

BTW, feel free to answer on the list.

Footnotes: