* EMAIL using VM and GNU
@ 2005-04-18 14:58 Mahdi Osman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1905.1113856924.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mahdi Osman @ 2005-04-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 1868 bytes --]

Hi, list,

Sorry to bother you with my question.

I have been trying to use GNUS and VM to send and read mails. Sending
emails went well in both agents. I have tried to read mails from my
web-based mailbox (gmx.net). Mainly I used VM and tried to configure VM to
read emails from my gmx.net. I could not make progress at all as my vm can
not get mails.

My configuration looks as follows:

My vm searches for mails on local disk in my home directory

(~/INBOX). My VM can find whatever is there (I copied some emails in
this directory for experimenting).

My vm can not get emails from my remote box.

I have got the following pop / IMAP setup

(setq vm-spool-files (list
		      (concat "pop.gmx.net:110:apop:"
			      (getenv "m_osm@gmx.net") ":*")
		      (concat "imap:imap.gmx.net:143:inbox:login:"
			      (getenv "m_osm@gmx.net") ":*")))

Error report follows:

      Invalid argument:

      "Unkown service: impa.gmx.net"

Then I tried the following pop setup

(setq vm-spool-files
      (list
       (list "~/INBOX"
             "gmx.net:110:pass:m_osm@gmx.net:*"
             "~/INBOX.CRASH")))

VM asks for password for

m_osm@gmx.net@gmx.net

My address seems to be messed up, I do not know why.

Finally it tells me that there are no new messages. THAT IS NOT TRUE.
I KNOW THAT I HAVE 10 UNREAD NEW MESSAGES IN MY MAIL BOX.

So all in all I can not access my messages from my web-based mailbox.

I am wondering if any one can help me go further in using this VM?

Thanks a lot for your time and help

Regards

Mahdi
--
Mahdi Osman (PhD)

--
-----------------------------------
Mahdi Osman (PhD)

+++ GMX - Die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++

1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

* EMAIL using VM and GNU
@ 2005-04-18 14:59 Mahdi Osman
From: Mahdi Osman @ 2005-04-18 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

* Re: EMAIL using VM and GNU
@ 2005-04-18 20:39 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.1905.1113856924.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-04-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mahdi Osman wrote:
 > Sorry to bother you with my question.

No bother, but gnu.emacs.vm.info would be more appropriate.

 > I have been trying to use GNUS and VM to send and read mails. Sending
 > emails went well in both agents. I have tried to read mails from my
 > web-based mailbox (gmx.net). Mainly I used VM and tried to configure
VM to
 > read emails from my gmx.net. I could not make progress at all as my
vm can
 > not get mails.

Does gmx.net support POP or IMAP? If not, you're out of luck.

 > My configuration looks as follows:
 >
 > My vm searches for mails on local disk in my home directory
 >
 > (~/INBOX). My VM can find whatever is there (I copied some emails in
 > this directory for experimenting).
 >

 > My vm can not get emails from my remote box.
 >

 > I have got the following pop / IMAP setup
 >
 > (setq vm-spool-files (list
 > 		      (concat "pop.gmx.net:110:apop:"
 > 			      (getenv "m_osm@gmx.net") ":*")
 > 		      (concat "imap:imap.gmx.net:143:inbox:login:"
 > 			      (getenv "m_osm@gmx.net") ":*")))
 >
 > Error report follows:
 >
 >       Invalid argument:
 >
 >       "Unkown service: impa.gmx.net"
 >

 > Then I tried the following pop setup
 >

 > (setq vm-spool-files
 >       (list
 >        (list "~/INBOX"
 >              "gmx.net:110:pass:m_osm@gmx.net:*"
 >              "~/INBOX.CRASH")))

Is suspect your user name is just "m_osm" (not "m_osm@gmx.net").  So:

(setq vm-spool-files
       (list
        (list "~/INBOX"
              "gmx.net:110:pass:m_osm:*"
              "~/INBOX.CRASH")))

 > VM asks for password for
 >
 > m_osm@gmx.net@gmx.net
 >
 > My address seems to be messed up, I do not know why.

Because that's what you specified.  :-)

 > Finally it tells me that there are no new messages. THAT IS NOT TRUE.
 > I KNOW THAT I HAVE 10 UNREAD NEW MESSAGES IN MY MAIL BOX.

Was your password accepted by gmx.net?  If not, VM would not be able to
see the messages in your mailbox.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: EMAIL using VM and GNU
       [not found] ` <mailman.1905.1113856924.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-18 21:15   ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-04-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

| Mahdi Osman wrote:
|
| > I have been trying to use GNUS and VM to send and read
| > mails. Sending emails went well in both agents. I have tried to read
| > mails from my web-based mailbox (gmx.net). Mainly I used VM and
| > tried to configure VM to read emails from my gmx.net. I could not
| > make progress at all as my vm can not get mails.
|
| Does gmx.net support POP or IMAP? If not, you're out of luck.

POP is supported.  This is what I use for Gnus (I've never used VM):

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmx.net"
             :user "foo"
             :password "bar")))

The username is indeed not the whole email address, only the part before
the @.

Please note that this is not a very secure way of storing your
password.  You might want to leave that bit out if you're paranoid.

HTH.

--
SB