[parent not found: <mailman.3365.1184179766.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist
@ 2007-07-11  4:04 Murray Eisenberg
From: Murray Eisenberg @ 2007-07-11  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've installed a binary version of Gnu Emacs under Windows
(specifically,t he latest Gnu Emacs + AUCTeX bundle) directly under
Windows -- NOT under Cygwin -- and inserted the usual code into _emacs
to activate savehist:

   (require `savehist)
   (setq savehist-file "~/.emacs/history")
   (setq savehist-length 1000)
   (savehist-load)

But I don't seem to see any difference now, either when I exit emacs or
when I start it again.  In fact, I'm not even certain that emacs is
processing the _emacs file.

Part of the problem may be the name, _emacs, of the initialization file:
Originally, the file was named .emacs and placed inside my home
directory.  But then I realized that savehist wants to save the history
to a subdirectory .emacs of my home directory, and of course it's
impossible to have both a directory and another file of the same name in
the same directory.  Which is why I renamed the file from .emacs to
_emacs (which I thought was OK).

Before I did that renaming, at least when I tried to quit emacs I saw a
message that emacs was trying to save the history but could not find
subdirectory .emacs of my home directory (because, of course, at that
point, there was none).

So obviously I'm very confused.  Can you help me straighten this out?
--
Murray Eisenberg                     murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.