* Hi all
@ 2005-07-21 12:24 Sergio Dominguez
From: Sergio Dominguez @ 2005-07-21 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a first question to the list :) I would like emacs to start directly in line number 8, but I really don't manage to do it, and I"ve googled intensenly for it. Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks,

Sergio
--
QOTD:
	"I drive my car quietly, for it goes without saying."

* Re: Hi all
       [not found] <mailman.1189.1121949251.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-21 12:56 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-07-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergio Dominguez <sergio@skynet.ie> writes:

> I have a first question to the list :) I would like emacs to start
> directly in line number 8, but I really don't manage to do it, and
> I"ve googled intensenly for it. Can someone give me a hint?

The Emacs developers have written a manual.  And they even have
written a man page.

(info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")

* Re: Hi all
@ 2005-07-21 12:57 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-07-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Help

Am 21.07.2005 um 14:24 schrieb Sergio Dominguez:

> I have a first question to the list :) I would like emacs to start
> directly in line number 8, but I really don't manage to do it, and
> I"ve googled intensenly for it. Can someone give me a hint?

What version of GNU Emacs are you using on which platform?

My GNU Emacs 21.2 on Mac OS X explains to me:

	Action options:

	FILE                    visit FILE using find-file
	+LINE FILE              visit FILE using find-file, then go to line
LINE
	+LINE:COLUMN FILE       visit FILE using find-file, then go to line
LINE,
	                            column COLUMN

And your version can't do that?! (Have you tried vi before? Vi works in
a similiar way.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: Hi all
@ 2005-07-21 13:03   ` Sergio Dominguez
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1232.1121986357.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sergio Dominguez @ 2005-07-21 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

And I even have the book, but never visited the man page...

Shame on me :)

Sergio

El A las 02:56 del 21 de Jul de 2005, David Kastrup dijo:
> Sergio Dominguez <sergio@skynet.ie> writes:
>
> > I have a first question to the list :) I would like emacs to start
> > directly in line number 8, but I really don't manage to do it, and
> > I"ve googled intensenly for it. Can someone give me a hint?
>
> The Emacs developers have written a manual.  And they even have
> written a man page.
>
> (info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

Old age is the harbor of all ills.
		-- Bion

* Re: Hi all
@ 2005-07-21 22:42   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1232.1121986357.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-21 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup wrote:

>Sergio Dominguez <sergio@skynet.ie> writes:
>

>>I have a first question to the list :) I would like emacs to start
>>directly in line number 8, but I really don't manage to do it, and
>>I"ve googled intensenly for it. Can someone give me a hint?
>>

>The Emacs developers have written a manual.  And they even have
>written a man page.
>
>(info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")

There might be different opinions on that. I do not think it covers what
most users would want in a good way. You can indeed use the information
that is there to start Emacs and go to a specific line in a specific
file. The problem is that the way Emacs is started then might not be the
way you want it to start.

What is the problem you might wonder then? It is that doing it that way
you invoke a new copy of Emacs. If you have already started Emacs before
and even if you are already editing that specific file the newly invoked
Emacs does not have a direct connection to the already running Emacs.
This mean that the to copies of Emacs does not know exactly what the
other copy is doing to that file.

You can avoid this trouble but. The solution is to run Emacs as an
editing server. Emacsclient/server is for that. Take a look at these and
the command line parameters for the clients. There you can find a
solution to your problem. (Currently Emacsclient/server is not available
on MS Windows where you instead use Gnuserv/client for the same purpose.
For installing this on MS Windows I suggest you take a look at EmacsW32
on http://www.emacswiki.org/.)

The solution will however be a little bit more complex. You will have to
use the argument for evaluation of code. A simple solution will be to
use the two functions find-file and goto-line.

* Re: Hi all
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1232.1121986357.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-21 23:07     ` David Kastrup
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1237.1121988638.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-07-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>(info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")
>>
> There might be different opinions on that. I do not think it covers
> what most users would want in a good way. You can indeed use the
> information that is there to start Emacs and go to a specific line in
> a specific file.

And that was what the original poster asked for.  So what are the
"different opinions on that" supposed to be?

> The problem is that the way Emacs is started then might not be the
> way you want it to start.
>
> What is the problem you might wonder then? It is that doing it that
> way you invoke a new copy of Emacs.

Well, look up the meaning of the word "start" in a dictionary of your
choice.

> You can avoid this trouble but. The solution is to run Emacs as an
> editing server.

[...]

> The solution will however be a little bit more complex. You will
> have to use the argument for evaluation of code. A simple solution
> will be to use the two functions find-file and goto-line.

Hogwash.

(info "(emacs) Invoking emacsclient")

    File: emacs,  Node: Invoking emacsclient,  Prev: Emacs Server,  Up: Emacs Server

    41.1 Invoking `emacsclient'
    ===========================

    To run the `emacsclient' program, specify file names as arguments, and
    optionally line numbers as well.  Do it like this:

         emacsclient {[+LINE[COLUMN]] FILENAME}...

    This tells Emacs to visit each of the specified files; if you specify a
    line number for a certain file, Emacs moves to that line in the file.

You really are not too fond of reading the manual, right?

* Re: Hi all
@ 2005-07-21 23:28       ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1237.1121988638.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-21 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup wrote:

>>There might be different opinions on that. I do not think it covers
>>what most users would want in a good way. You can indeed use the
>>information that is there to start Emacs and go to a specific line in
>>a specific file.
>>

>And that was what the original poster asked for.  So what are the
>"different opinions on that" supposed to be?

Every question needs an interpretetion before you can answer it
adequately. But I really do not want to discuss this.

>         emacsclient {[+LINE[COLUMN]] FILENAME}...

Thanks. I should have known. I have actually used it but it was long ago
(with gnuclient).

* Re: Hi all
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1237.1121988638.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-22  0:07         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-07-22  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Every question needs an interpretetion before you can answer it
> adequately.  But I really do not want to discuss this.
>
>>         emacsclient {[+LINE[COLUMN]] FILENAME}...
>
> Thanks. I should have known. I have actually used it but it was
> long ago (with gnuclient).

to adequately answer a question, all interpretation must be
collapsed from the questioning process.  collapsing interpretation
is one of the things well-maintained manuals are fond of doing.

thi