* emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13  5:49 yavannadil
From: yavannadil @ 2006-08-13  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

After moving from MacOS X to Linux I miss only one application -
Aquamacs.
My system is Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - Dapper Drake, my locale is ru_RU.UTF-8
and my Mule status General Information is
Version of this emacs:
  GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars)
 of 2006-05-18 on adare, modified by Debian

Configuration options:
  '--build=powerpc-linux-gnu' '--host=powerpc-linux-gnu'
'--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
'--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=athena' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2'
'build_alias=powerpc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=powerpc-linux-gnu'

Multibyte characters awareness:
  default: t
  current-buffer: t

Current language environment: UTF-8

The first problem: when I copy (with mouse) Russian text from Gnome
terminal or OpenOffice and paste it into Emacs, it shows the text in
bolder font than text entered from keyboard and then refuses to save it
as UTF-8, suggesting x-ctext. How do I get rid of this x-ctext?

The second problem: when I open UTF-8 files with tramp, they are shown
as bunch of octets (\201\...) and then get mangled after save. I guess
I need to tell tramp to use UTF-8. How do I do it?

And the last thing: how do I turn on scrolling wheel support?

Thank you for any advice,
Dmitri

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13  7:52 ` yavannadil
From: yavannadil @ 2006-08-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

And one more question: should I grab sources from CVS and upgrade to
emacs 22? Is there any reason why emacs 22 is not packaged for
Ubuntu/Debian?

Thanks,
Dmitri

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13  8:01   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-13  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

yavannadil@yahoo.com writes:

> And one more question: should I grab sources from CVS and upgrade to
> emacs 22?

The latter is not possible, as Emacs 22 has not been released, but the
former is a good idea.

> Is there any reason why emacs 22 is not packaged for Ubuntu/Debian?

Because it does not exist yet.  However, the CVS is packaged as
emacs-snapshot or emacs-snapshot-gtk (depending on which you prefer).

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13  8:37 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-13  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.08.2006 um 07:49 schrieb yavannadil@yahoo.com:

> The first problem: when I copy (with mouse) Russian text from Gnome
> terminal or OpenOffice and paste it into Emacs, it shows the text in
> bolder font than text entered from keyboard and then refuses to
> save it
> as UTF-8, suggesting x-ctext. How do I get rid of this x-ctext?

I wouldn't use "(set-language-environment  'UTF-8)" but set in my
runtime environment LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE or LANG to be ru_RU.UTF-8. GNU
Emacs learns from this much more than you can set (right). If you
still have problems with copy&paste you can try:

	(set-selection-coding-system   'utf-8)
	(set-clipboard-coding-system   'utf-8)

or something more realistic (don't know what encoding Dapper Dan uses
for copy&paste) and finally there's the call to

	(prefer-coding-system          'utf-8)

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13 14:37   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-08-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

yavannadil@yahoo.com writes:

> And one more question: should I grab sources from CVS and upgrade to
> emacs 22? Is there any reason why emacs 22 is not packaged for
> Ubuntu/Debian?

It is : install emacs-snapshot and the run "sudo update-alternatives
--config emacs" at the command line.

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13 19:08     ` yavannadil
From: yavannadil @ 2006-08-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup писал(а):

> Because it does not exist yet.  However, the CVS is packaged as
> emacs-snapshot or emacs-snapshot-gtk (depending on which you prefer).

Installed this one. Nothing changed: it opens local UTF-8 files
exellently, and mangles remote UTF-8 files opened via tramp.
The same thing with pasted text. If I leave things as they are, it
pastes text in some strange (x-ctext?) encoding (I mean it reads
perfectly Russian, I just can't save it in normal standard Unicode
file), if I change X clipboard encoding to UTF-8, it pastes string of
ASCII characters that, I reckon, encode in some way the original text...

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13 19:11       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-13 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

yavannadil@yahoo.com writes:

> David Kastrup писал(а):
>
>> Because it does not exist yet.  However, the CVS is packaged as
>> emacs-snapshot or emacs-snapshot-gtk (depending on which you prefer).
>
> Installed this one. Nothing changed: it opens local UTF-8 files
> exellently, and mangles remote UTF-8 files opened via tramp.
> The same thing with pasted text. If I leave things as they are, it
> pastes text in some strange (x-ctext?) encoding (I mean it reads
> perfectly Russian, I just can't save it in normal standard Unicode
> file), if I change X clipboard encoding to UTF-8, it pastes string of
> ASCII characters that, I reckon, encode in some way the original text...

So you probably either have something in your .emacs file or in your
LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variable that is not helpful.

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-13 20:41         ` yavannadil
From: yavannadil @ 2006-08-13 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup писал(а):

> So you probably either have something in your .emacs file or in your
> LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variable that is not helpful.

Indeed, I removed my .emacs and copy/paste works seamlessly. Hooray!
Thank you for your advice!
Mouse wheel scrolls, too :)
But tramp refuses to cooperate. :(

* Re: emacs, tramp & x-ctext
@ 2006-08-14 20:18           ` yavannadil
From: yavannadil @ 2006-08-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

yavannadil@yahoo.com писал(а):

> But tramp refuses to cooperate. :(

After adding

(setq coding-system-for-read 'utf-8)
(setq coding-system-for-write 'utf-8)

to my .emacs, tramp works correctly with UTF-8 files.
Thanks to the source code of gnus' uudecode!