* Re: Couple questions
       [not found] <mailman.4031.1049309314.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-02 18:25 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Harter, Douglas" <dharter@state.pa.us> writes:

> 1. My usr/local/share/emacs has 2 site-lisp directories one under emacs and
> one under emacs/21.1. The majority of the files are under
> usr/local/share/emacs/21.1. Does it matter which I put site stuff under?
> (one, either, both)

Consider what happens when you install a new version of Emacs, say
21.3.  It will read /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp (like 21.1) and
/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/site-lisp (unlike 21.3).

You can imagine what this means.

> 2. By setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local, will emacs be able to find all the
> emacs files it needs?

No.  The variable has effect for shared libraries, but many of the
files needed by Emacs are Lisp files.  The value of the variable
appears bogus, too.

C-h i d m Emacs RET
Then use i to invoke index search and enter "environment".  That will
point you to a list of environment variables used by Emacs.

But if Emacs starts up fine (with no error message), it probably found
all the files it needed, so why bother...

* Couple questions
@ 2003-04-02 18:41 Harter, Douglas
From: Harter, Douglas @ 2003-04-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-04-02 19:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harter, Douglas wrote:

> 1. My usr/local/share/emacs has 2 site-lisp directories one under emacs and
> one under emacs/21.1. The majority of the files are under
> usr/local/share/emacs/21.1. Does it matter which I put site stuff under?
> (one, either, both)

Only if you intend to have more than 1 version of Emacs installed, or eventually
upgrade to a newer version.  The site-lisp directory will be used by all
versions, but the 21.1/site-lisp directory will only be used by your current
version (so if you upgrade, you'll have to move all those files).

I recommend using the site-lisp directory for almost everything.  The only
things I put in the M.m/site-lisp directory are version-specific bug fixes.

> 2. By setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local, will emacs be able to find all the
> emacs files it needs?

That depends on what platform are you using and how Emacs was configured when it
was built.

On Solaris, this will tell you whether that will work:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local ldd /usr/local/bin/emacs