* non-greedy regexp
@ 2006-10-23 13:49 Robert Pontisso
From: Robert Pontisso @ 2006-10-23 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. I've been having difficulty finding a non-greedy
regular expression to match a single instance of an
xml-type tag pair in a line.  Given a line with
several instances of <foo>...</foo>, is there a
version of <foo>.*</foo> that won't match everything
between the beginning of the first pair and closing of
the last pair?

Thanks

* Re: non-greedy regexp
@ 2006-10-23 13:52 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-10-23 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pontisso <rpontisso@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Hi.  I've  been  having  difficulty  finding  a  non-greedy  regular
> expression to  match a  single instance of  an xml-type tag  pair in
> a line.  Given a line  with several instances of  <foo>...</foo>, is
> there a version of <foo>.*</foo> that won't match everything between
> the beginning of the first pair and closing of the last pair?

Is «<foo>.*?</foo>» what you're looking for?

--
/!\ My mail address changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |  Si les religions etaient aussi tole-  |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: non-greedy regexp
       [not found] <mailman.154.1161611374.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-23 13:57 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-10-23 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Pontisso <rpontisso@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Hi. I've been having difficulty finding a non-greedy
> regular expression to match a single instance of an
> xml-type tag pair in a line.  Given a line with
> several instances of <foo>...</foo>, is there a
> version of <foo>.*</foo> that won't match everything
> between the beginning of the first pair and closing of
> the last pair?

Well, <foo>.*?</foo> would be one possibility, but that does not cover
nested tags.  You'd probably want something like

(let ((level 0))
  (while (progn
           (search-forward-regexp "<\\(/\\)?foo>")
           (setq level (if (match-beginning 1) (1- level) (1+ level)))
           (> 0 level))))

in order to match nested tags.