* upgrade
@ 2003-04-09 18:24 Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
can't find something or other.Anyway I've now got emacs-21.3.tar.gz. Is
there an easy way to use this for my linux suse 8.0? Any comments gratefully
received.
Ivan

* Re: upgrade
@ 2003-04-09 19:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
> download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
> can't find something or other.Anyway I've now got emacs-21.3.tar.gz. Is
> there an easy way to use this for my linux suse 8.0? Any comments gratefully
> received.

For compiling software, you often need additional packages, that are
not required for just running it.  (That's because the distributors
often factor out the development support into extra packages.)

For example, if "./configure" is complaining about a missing libjpeg,
you might be successfull by installing the jpeg-dev package.  (I have
no idea what they might be called on SuSE.)

* Re: upgrade
@ 2003-04-10 16:53 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-04-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Danicic wrote:
> Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
> download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
> can't find something or other.

What was the exact error?

* Re: upgrade
@ 2003-04-11  9:49   ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-11  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, running emacs --debug-init as advised says it can't find rmailgen,
though it is in fact there.
Ivan
"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ivan Danicic wrote:
> > Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
> > download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
> > can't find something or other.
>
> What was the exact error?

* Re: upgrade
@ 2003-04-11 15:43     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello, running emacs --debug-init as advised says it can't find rmailgen,
> though it is in fact there.

C-h v load-path RET can tell you where Emacs was looking.
Maybe rmailgen was *there* but not where Emacs was looking?
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: upgrade
@ 2003-04-12  9:36       ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, who knows where it is looking; I am not inclined to play Sherlock
Holmes just to upgrade emacs. I'll probably have to wait for another
version.
Ivan

@ 2003-04-12 12:55         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello, who knows where it is looking; I am not inclined to play
> Sherlock Holmes just to upgrade emacs. I'll probably have to wait
> for another version.

With that attitude, you can wait until hell freezes over, I'm afraid.

rmailgen.el is not part of Emacs, so you have to install it yourself.
Installing it yourself means to copy the file to a directory that's
mentioned in load-path.

This situation will persist for the foreseeable future (the next 20
years, say).

So if you want to get it working at all, install the file into a
directory that's mentioned in load-path.  It's very easy to do that,
as I already told you how to get the list of directories mentioned on
load-path.
--

@ 2003-04-12 15:47           ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-12 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Kai, thanks, I'll try after I had some spinach :)

@ 2003-04-12 16:48       ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-12 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hello, running emacs --debug-init as advised says it can't find
rmailgen,
> > though it is in fact there.
>
> C-h v load-path RET can tell you where Emacs was looking.
> Maybe rmailgen was *there* but not where Emacs was looking?
> --
> file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory
~/.signature)
Hello Kai, I've done as you suggested. Now can run  emacs I think, but
without X-windows, which is no use. I notice that when running 'upgrade' it
says
"where do we find X-windows libraries.....NONE". Maybe I have the wrong
download thing?
Ivan

* Re: upgrade
@ 2003-04-12 17:21       ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-12 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-04-12 21:16         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-12 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello Kai, I've done as you suggested. Now can run emacs I think,
> but without X-windows, which is no use. I notice that when running
> 'upgrade' it says "where do we find X-windows
> libraries.....NONE". Maybe I have the wrong download thing?

It seems you did something completely different than I suggested.  At
least than I wanted to suggest :-)
I didn't suggest to compile Emacs again, I think.

You have an existing, system-wide, Emacs.  You want that Emacs to use
your local rmailgen.el file.

Put the rmailgen.el file in the directory ~/lisp.  Then put the
following line in ~/.emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/lisp")

After that line, you can do whatever you usually need to do to get
rmailgen.el to work.  Maybe (require 'rmailgen) is sufficient, I
don't know.  I don't know that file.
--

@ 2003-04-13  9:43           ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-13  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Kai, what I had done was to put those missing files into a directory
which is already in the load-path. Is that bad?

@ 2003-04-13 11:59             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-13 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello Kai, what I had done was to put those missing files into a directory
> which is already in the load-path. Is that bad?

No, that's good.  Some directories in load-path are intended for the
Lisp files that come with Emacs, though.  The directory name includes
the Emacs version number, so when you delete that version and install
a new version of Emacs, the files you put there yourself will be lost.

But there is a site-lisp directory on load-path which does not
include the version number, if you used that, you did it perfectly :-)

Does it work now?
--

@ 2003-04-13 13:11               ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-13 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Kai, I've done what you said; I still get emacs only in text-mode. How
to get it to use x-windows?

@ 2003-04-13 13:22                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello Kai, I've done what you said; I still get emacs only in
> text-mode. How to get it to use x-windows?

Installing rmailgen.el has no impact on text/X11 distinction.

You said before that you compiled a new Emacs, and that there the
configure step complained about something or other missing that was
X11-related.  Are you using that binary?

If you want to compile your own, please give more detail about your
platform and show the complete "./configure" invocation together with
its output.

The only idea that I have currently is that you need to install the
X11 developer package.  But this guess might be wrong.
--

@ 2003-04-13 14:27                   ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-04-13 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Kai, I am using that binary but I have no reason to want to compile
the thing. The only reason I did this was because the thing that I
downloaded told me what to do. I'd be much happier to download a binary
version. Is there one? Sorry to trouble you.

@ 2003-04-13 18:48                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello Kai, I am using that binary but I have no reason to want to compile
> the thing. The only reason I did this was because the thing that I
> downloaded told me what to do. I'd be much happier to download a binary
> version. Is there one? Sorry to trouble you.

What did you download, then, in the first place?

The first message in the thread appears to be the following:

/----
| From: "Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk>
| Subject: Re: upgrade
| Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
| Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:49:31 +0100
|
| Hello, running emacs --debug-init as advised says it can't find rmailgen,
| though it is in fact there.
| Ivan
| "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| > Ivan Danicic wrote:
| > > Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
| > > download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
| > > can't find something or other.
| >
| > What was the exact error?

\----

Hm.  Hmmm...  Okay, I think I've been misunderstanding something.
Your first problem was NOT that you wanted to get rmailgen to work,
instead you installed Emacs 21.3 first and then rmailgen didn't work
anymore.

Okay.  Now I understand better.  You are running on a Windows system,
I guess.  The most recent precompiled version for Windows appears to
be 21.2.  So, yes, you have to compile it yourself.

But now I'm confused as to why you need X11.

[Going back further.]

Ah!  You're running SuSE.  Indeed.  Then X11 makes much more sense.

Okay, I'm not sure what the X11 development package is called, but I
guess you have that.  So please try to search for it using Yast or
whatever the tool on SuSE is and install the X11 development
package.  Then try "./configure" again.  Post the command line and
the output.  I hope that this enables people to help you more.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)