* Emacs load-path after update
@ 2003-04-12 15:13 Ole Andre Birkedal
From: Ole Andre Birkedal @ 2003-04-12 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.
I downloaded the latest version of Emacs from
CVS which is 21.3.50.2 and compiled it from source.
My previous version was 21.2.x which was in Debian
unstable, and the load-path was /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
but default. When installing this new Emacs the load-path
was not the same, I did make install and found out that it
made something in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/, but
when I put the programs from the old load-path in that directory
they didn't load, or work at all.

I have tried to add a new load-path in ~/.emacs.el, it
shows up in C-h v load-path RET, but they still don't load.
I tried defining it in epath.h, then recompiling, but
they still didn't load. I also tried setting the enviornment
variable EMACS_LOADPATH (or what it was called), but that
also failed as far as I could see.

Have anyone had the same problems?
I think there is only one little stupid mistake.
--
the Termos, Ole André
http://termos.devcave.net

* Re: Emacs load-path after update
@ 2003-04-12 15:27 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole Andre Birkedal <oandre-b@online.no> writes:

> I downloaded the latest version of Emacs from
> CVS which is 21.3.50.2 and compiled it from source.
> My previous version was 21.2.x which was in Debian
> unstable, and the load-path was /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> but default. When installing this new Emacs the load-path
> was not the same, I did make install and found out that it
> made something in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/,

This is normal.  By default, Emacs is installed in /usr/local.  This
means binaries go in /usr/local/bin, Lisp files in
/usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/lisp, and so on.

The Debian package installs in /usr, so the binary goes in /usr/bin
and so on.

Additionally, the Debian packages have added magic so that both Emacs
and XEmacs will find the right Lisp files.  To this end, the *.el
files are stored in the same directory for both Emacs and XEmacs, but
the *.elc files are stored in different directories.  (The *.elc
files are usually incompatible between Emacs flavors.)

> but when I put the programs from the old load-path in that directory
> they didn't load, or work at all.

It's difficult to say what has happened from this description.  Can
you given an example of a "program" that you took from the old
load-path and put it into the new site-lisp directory?

Note that there should be a file site-start.el and/or default.el.
This file contains (these files contain) commands that are necessary
for setting up the add-on packages.  It's not enough to drop a random
*.el file into the right directory, you also have to configure Emacs
to actually use that file.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: Emacs load-path after update
@ 2003-04-12 23:19   ` Ole Andre Birkedal
From: Ole Andre Birkedal @ 2003-04-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ole Andre Birkedal <oandre-b@online.no> writes:
>
> > I downloaded the latest version of Emacs from
> > CVS which is 21.3.50.2 and compiled it from source.
> > My previous version was 21.2.x which was in Debian
> > unstable, and the load-path was /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> > but default. When installing this new Emacs the load-path
> > was not the same, I did make install and found out that it
> > made something in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/,
>
> This is normal.  By default, Emacs is installed in /usr/local.  This
> means binaries go in /usr/local/bin, Lisp files in
> /usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/lisp, and so on.
>
> The Debian package installs in /usr, so the binary goes in /usr/bin
> and so on.
>
> Additionally, the Debian packages have added magic so that both Emacs
> and XEmacs will find the right Lisp files.  To this end, the *.el
> files are stored in the same directory for both Emacs and XEmacs, but
> the *.elc files are stored in different directories.  (The *.elc
> files are usually incompatible between Emacs flavors.)
>
> > but when I put the programs from the old load-path in that directory
> > they didn't load, or work at all.
>
> It's difficult to say what has happened from this description.  Can
> you given an example of a "program" that you took from the old
> load-path and put it into the new site-lisp directory?

Yes, there was very little detail about that, let me try to fill
in on that, sorry.
I am running gnus with mailcrypt just fine in the cvs compiled version
of Emacs, probably because it came with it. When I installed it, it
put gnus and mailcrypt in /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as you said.
The program I am trying to move is ERC, the IRC client for Emacs.
I have tried moving it into /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as well
as /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ with no luck.

> Note that there should be a file site-start.el and/or default.el.

Yes, I was thinking about this, since I have never (AFAIK) had any of
these files for ERC. But I looked around a bit, and there is a mailcrypt-init.el
in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/, maybe that could explain something?

> This file contains (these files contain) commands that are necessary
> for setting up the add-on packages.  It's not enough to drop a random
> *.el file into the right directory, you also have to configure Emacs
> to actually use that file.
> --
> file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

As I am not a very experienced Emacs user I can't fill in on very much more than
that. I don't know what more to tell you really, sorry. Hoper it was enough info anyway.
In advance, thanks. :-)

--

@ 2003-04-13  8:02     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole Andre Birkedal <oandre-b@online.no> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> It's difficult to say what has happened from this description.  Can
>> you given an example of a "program" that you took from the old
>> load-path and put it into the new site-lisp directory?
>
> Yes, there was very little detail about that, let me try to fill
> in on that, sorry.
> I am running gnus with mailcrypt just fine in the cvs compiled version
> of Emacs, probably because it came with it. When I installed it, it
> put gnus and mailcrypt in /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as you said.
> The program I am trying to move is ERC, the IRC client for Emacs.
> I have tried moving it into /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as well
> as /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ with no luck.

You should put the *.el and *.elc files into the site-lisp directory.
Do C-h v load-path RET and look if the directory
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is mentioned there.  (In the
following, I'll assume that it is.  If it isn't, there should be
another site-lisp directory mentioned there -- use that instead.)

ERC should come with installation instructions to say what you need
to put in your init file.  If you want to install things for the
whole site, then frob
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el.  (Create the file if
it doesn't exist.)  If you want to install it for yourself only, edit
~/.emacs.

It is not enough to put *.el files in directories, you also have to
configure Emacs to actually use them.  Usually, one would use
(require 'mumblefoo) for this or perhaps autoload statements.
--

@ 2003-04-13  8:34       ` Ole Andre Birkedal
From: Ole Andre Birkedal @ 2003-04-13  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ole Andre Birkedal <oandre-b@online.no> writes:
>
> > kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >
> >> It's difficult to say what has happened from this description.  Can
> >> you given an example of a "program" that you took from the old
> >> load-path and put it into the new site-lisp directory?
> >
> > Yes, there was very little detail about that, let me try to fill
> > in on that, sorry.
> > I am running gnus with mailcrypt just fine in the cvs compiled version
> > of Emacs, probably because it came with it. When I installed it, it
> > put gnus and mailcrypt in /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as you said.
> > The program I am trying to move is ERC, the IRC client for Emacs.
> > I have tried moving it into /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as well
> > as /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ with no luck.
>
> You should put the *.el and *.elc files into the site-lisp directory.
> Do C-h v load-path RET and look if the directory
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is mentioned there.  (In the
> following, I'll assume that it is.  If it isn't, there should be
> another site-lisp directory mentioned there -- use that instead.)
>
> ERC should come with installation instructions to say what you need
> to put in your init file.  If you want to install things for the
> whole site, then frob
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el.  (Create the file if
> it doesn't exist.)  If you want to install it for yourself only, edit
> ~/.emacs.
>
> It is not enough to put *.el files in directories, you also have to
> configure Emacs to actually use them.  Usually, one would use
> (require 'mumblefoo) for this or perhaps autoload statements.
> --
> file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

Wow, now it worked just fine! Thanks.
I really think I did this myself, but then it didn't work. I probably didn't
use (require 'erc), not sure.
Anyway, thanks again. :-)

--
the Termos, Ole André