From: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: New to Emacs
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:50:40 +0100	[thread overview]

Code Fox <codefox@ftml.net> writes:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.2 for windows. I haven't used it
> before. I'm just getting used to navigating and using the control and
> meta key commands. Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the features
> available in emacs. I find it a bit difficult to follow the gnu emacs
> manual for a first read. Could someone provide me with links to get
> started with emacs?

I think people generally suggest to start with the tutorial.  After
that, you're expected to read those parts of the manual that appear
interesting to you.  But one problem is to figure out what is
interesting, as Emacs uses unusual terms.  I suggest to read the
glossary first.  That tells you about the Emacs terminology.

> Also I have a few doubts:
>
> 1. I use many scripting languages like PHP, ASP, and Python. If I want
>    to write my own syntax hilighting for a particular language how do
>    I do it?

There are already modes for Python and for PHP.  Not sure about ASP.
So maybe you don't need to do that much yourself.

Usually, you should write a `major mode' for things like syntax
highlighting.  Emacs comes with files generic.el and generic-x.el.
The former provides for a way to fairly simply construct a major
mode.  The latter contains some examples to learn from.

And then there is define-derived-mode which you can use if there is
already a major mode that's similar.  (Some people suggest to always
use define-derived-mode -- if necessary, derive from
fundamental-mode...)

> 2. I have an IMAP mail account. I configured gnus to retrieve mails
>    from my IMAP account but I couldn't see all folders. Is there an
>    email client for emacs which would let me use my IMAP account with
>    ease, like moving messages between 2 folders?

I find that Gnus does let me use my IMAP account `with ease'.  But
there are two ways to use IMAP with Gnus.  One is to create an entry
in mail-sources, the other is to use nnimap.  The second is what makes
Gnus a full-fledged IMAP client.  Please provide more details about
things you tried.

> 3. I use various C++ compilers. How do I configure emacs to compile my
>    program using a particular compiler?

The variable is compile-command.  I suggest to always write a
Makefile, then the default value will be fine.  It is quite easy to
write Makefiles.  (In simple cases, the Makefiles are simple.  In more
complicated cases, the Makefiles are more complicated.  But such is
life...)

For example, if your C++ compiler is called dumbledore, then the
following one-liner might be enough:

CXX=dumbledore

> 4. How do I create a custom spell-check dictionary?

The standard ispell commands provide for ways to add words to the
private dictionary.  Did you read the documentation on ispell?