* Question about tramp and remote environment.
@ 2019-03-23  1:10 Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2019-03-23  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all:

I have a question about tramp usage when working in clusters.

In clusters normally there are modules that the user needs to load
dynamically for tasks like compiling a file.

When using tramp the expected behavior should be that once I open a
remote file and I want to build it with a version of make (or gcc, or
use gtags remotely, ) in a module I should do:

M-! module load xyz

and then the remote path will be changed.

But when I try this, the remote environment is not modified. If I print
the paths they are always the same.

If I try something simpler like:

M-! export var=1
M-! echo $var

It doesn't work either. So is this a design choice?

In any case what's the recommended workflow to use modules in this kind
of dynamic environments with modules?

Maybe there is a package I don't know?

Thanks in advance,
Ergus

* Re: Question about tramp and remote environment.
@ 2019-03-23  6:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-03-23  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 02:10:12 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> M-! module load xyz
>
> and then the remote path will be changed.
>
> But when I try this, the remote environment is not modified. If I print
> the paths they are always the same.
>
> If I try something simpler like:
>
> M-! export var=1
> M-! echo $var
>
> It doesn't work either. So is this a design choice?

Each time you invoke M-! it runs a new instance of the shell, so
setting you have done there are not propagated to the next
invocation.  If you want them to stick around, start a sub-shell with
"M-x shell", then do all the changes there.