From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Help with frame colors in Emacs
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 21:39:07 +0200	[thread overview]

> From: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 11:18:49 -0800
>
> I launch using the following method:
>
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -bg black -fg
> mediumspringgreen -cr yellow -ms blue
>
> This is also how I launch on my linux box (Ubuntu 18.04) minus the macOS
> file path.  On linux I am running emacs 25.2.2 and when I launch a new
> frame, it inherits the background/foreground, etc.  But this is not
> happening on macOS.  I am wondering if it is because I am not using X
> windows on the macOS?
>
> In any case, is there a config method I can use so that all my frames
> inherit the same background, foreground, etc short of setting the "default"
> face?

I don't know why it doesn't work for you on macOS (sounds like a bug
specific to that platform, or maybe also to the specific Emacs version
you are using, which is quite old), but the recommended way of
customizing the colors is via default-frame-parameters, which you can
set in your init file.  There are examples of that in the Emacs user
manual, and all of the colors you want to change have corresponding
frame parameters.

Of course, it could be that the same bug which prevents the
command-line arguments from working will also defeat the
default-frame-parameters customization...