* Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 15:32 David M. Miller
From: David M. Miller @ 2016-11-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I went to download 25.1 for windows I saw two packages on the main GNU ftp server:

    emacs-25.1-i686-w64-mingw32.zip
     - AND -
    emacs-25.1-x86_64-w64-mingw32.zip

but no explanation of the difference between them in the README file.

Also, there seems to be a separate package of "deps" for each:

    emacs-25-i686-deps.zip
     - AND -
    emacs-25-x86_64-deps.zip

the need for which is also not explained anywhere (dependencies? dependencies for what?).

Does anyone know what the difference between the i686 and x86_64 packages are?
Does anyone know what the "deps" packages are for?

Thanks,
David

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 15:39 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-11-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 16:00 ` David M. Miller
From: David M. Miller @ 2016-11-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 11:32:42 AM UTC-4, David M. Miller wrote:
> When I went to download 25.1 for windows I saw two packages on the main GNU ftp server:
>
>     emacs-25.1-i686-w64-mingw32.zip
>      - AND -
>     emacs-25.1-x86_64-w64-mingw32.zip
>
> but no explanation of the difference between them in the README file.
>
> Also, there seems to be a separate package of "deps" for each:
>
>     emacs-25-i686-deps.zip
>      - AND -
>     emacs-25-x86_64-deps.zip
>
> the need for which is also not explained anywhere (dependencies? dependencies for what?).
>
> Does anyone know what the difference between the i686 and x86_64 packages are?
> Does anyone know what the "deps" packages are for?
>
> Thanks,
> David

After examining both main emacs packages, I think I figured out the obscure naming conventions: 'i686' refers to the 32-bit version, while 'x86_64' refers to the 64-bit version. So this answers my first question.

I have no intention of doing so, but I still wonder whether the "deps" package is intended for *BUILDING* emacs, or if it provides runtime binary support for some of the more obscure elisp facilities.

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 16:26   ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2016-11-03 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: David M. Miller

> After examining both main emacs packages, I think I figured out the obscure naming conventions: 'i686' refers to the 32-bit version, while 'x86_64' refers to the 64-bit version. So this answers my first question.
>
> I have no intention of doing so, but I still wonder whether the "deps" package is intended for *BUILDING* emacs, or if it provides runtime binary support for some of the more obscure elisp facilities.

They're runtime dependencies for several optional features.

        John

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 16:28   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2016-11-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"David M. Miller" <dmmiller2k@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 11:32:42 AM UTC-4, David M. Miller wrote:
>> When I went to download 25.1 for windows I saw two packages on the main GNU ftp server:
>>
>>     emacs-25.1-i686-w64-mingw32.zip
>>      - AND -
>>     emacs-25.1-x86_64-w64-mingw32.zip
>>
>> but no explanation of the difference between them in the README file.
>>
>> Also, there seems to be a separate package of "deps" for each:
>>
>>     emacs-25-i686-deps.zip
>>      - AND -
>>     emacs-25-x86_64-deps.zip
>>
>> the need for which is also not explained anywhere (dependencies? dependencies for what?).
>>
>> Does anyone know what the difference between the i686 and x86_64 packages are?
>> Does anyone know what the "deps" packages are for?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David
>
> After examining both main emacs packages, I think I figured out the obscure
> naming conventions: 'i686' refers to the 32-bit version, while 'x86_64' refers
> to the 64-bit version. So this answers my first question.
>
> I have no intention of doing so, but I still wonder whether the "deps" package
> is intended for *BUILDING* emacs, or if it provides runtime binary support for
> some of the more obscure elisp facilities.

Apologies for this. I built those packages, and haven't got around to
updating the README. I will try and do so tonight.

i686 and x86_64 are the 32 and 64 bit versions respectively. The names
come from the names for these platforms used in ./configure. Probably
not something that I should be inflicting on users. The "deps" package
are the external dependencies that Emacs uses, for features like XML
parsing, image rendering and so forth. If you unpack these over the
relevant version of Emacs, it's powers will be magically enhanced.

Phil

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 17:44     ` David M. Miller
From: David M. Miller @ 2016-11-03 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Awesome, thanks. That's what I was asking.

One question though, what runs the shell scripts, absent any recognizable
shell (bash or sh, ash, zsh, etc.) executable in the bin directory?

--David

@ 2016-11-03 17:58     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-11-03 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 16:28:54 +0000
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Apologies for this. I built those packages, and haven't got around to
> updating the README. I will try and do so tonight.

That file is README.W32 in the source tree.  If something needs to be
corrected there, please correct the master copy as well.

Thanks.

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 22:21       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2016-11-03 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"David M. Miller" <dmmiller2k@gmail.com> writes:

> Awesome, thanks. That's what I was asking.
>
> One question though, what runs the shell scripts, absent any recognizable
> shell (bash or sh, ash, zsh, etc.) executable in the bin directory?

Hopefully nothing!

The files in the dependency packages have been created from MSYS. There
are definately more files in there than necessary.  To be honest, I
thought I had uploaded a more minimal set than this, but apparently not.
I will check.

Phil

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-03 22:25       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2016-11-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord)
>> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 16:28:54 +0000
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> Apologies for this. I built those packages, and haven't got around to
>> updating the README. I will try and do so tonight.
>
> That file is README.W32 in the source tree.  If something needs to be
> corrected there, please correct the master copy as well.

Yes. Do you want to have a look at this patch? The changes are extensive
and include a lot of removals (it's about half the length). I've also
changed the name as .W32 seems liable to confuse in a 64 bit age.

Phil

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-04  7:19         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-11-04  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 22:25:16 +0000
>
> > That file is README.W32 in the source tree.  If something needs to be
> > corrected there, please correct the master copy as well.
>

> Yes. Do you want to have a look at this patch?

Yes, please.

> I've also changed the name as .W32 seems liable to confuse in a 64
> bit age.

The name of the file is not important, since it's supposed to be
renamed when it's put into the distribution.  So I'd rather not change
the name, because doing so makes investigating repository history
harder.

Thanks.

* Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
@ 2016-11-04 10:19           ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2016-11-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> I've also changed the name as .W32 seems liable to confuse in a 64
>> bit age.
>
> The name of the file is not important, since it's supposed to be
> renamed when it's put into the distribution.  So I'd rather not change
> the name, because doing so makes investigating repository history
> harder.

Okay, I'll restore that, and commit to emacs-25.

Phil