* describe all faces at point?
@ 2022-09-23 14:50 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2022-09-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
When I do `M-x describe-face`, the default face is, according to the doc,
> "the faces of the character after point"

However, looking at the `*Fancy Diary Entries*` buffer, I see many
different colors, and `M-x describe-face` offers the `diary-button` as
the default for _some_ characters that have _different_ colors (and the
`sample` in the `*Help*` buffer for one of them does _not_ match its
appearance).

Moreover, `(get-char-property (point) 'face)` returns `diary-button` for
both of those characters and `(face-at-point nil t)` returns
`(diary-button)` for them too.

So, how come two characters in the same buffer have different colors but
the same faces?

(see also https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/73791/795)
--
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: describe all faces at point?
@ 2022-09-23 15:01 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-09-23 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Steingold wrote:

> When I do `M-x describe-face`, the default face is, according to the doc,
> "the faces of the character after point"

Try this,

(defun what-face (pos)
  (interactive "d")
  (let ((face (or (get-char-property pos 'face)
                  (get-char-property pos 'read-cf-name) )))
    (message (format "%s" (or face "no face!"))) ))

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: describe all faces at point?
@ 2022-09-23 16:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-23 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 10:50:41 -0400
>
> When I do `M-x describe-face`, the default face is, according to the doc,
> > "the faces of the character after point"
>
> However, looking at the `*Fancy Diary Entries*` buffer, I see many
> different colors, and `M-x describe-face` offers the `diary-button` as
> the default for _some_ characters that have _different_ colors (and the
> `sample` in the `*Help*` buffer for one of them does _not_ match its
> appearance).
>
> Moreover, `(get-char-property (point) 'face)` returns `diary-button` for
> both of those characters and `(face-at-point nil t)` returns
> `(diary-button)` for them too.
>
> So, how come two characters in the same buffer have different colors but
> the same faces?

The appearance of a character on display in Emacs gets the face
information from more than a single source, see the node "Displaying
Faces" in the ELisp reference manual for the gory details.

If you tell how does one get the "*Fancy Diary Entries*" buffer with
what you see there, I could perhaps give a more concrete answer to
your question.