* Naming conventions for major modes based on tree-sitter
@ 2023-06-26  7:13 Ruby Iris Juric
From: Ruby Iris Juric @ 2023-06-26  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I'm currently developing a major mode based on treesit.el. It seems like
all major modes included in Emacs include the "ts" signifier in their
name - is this a convention that all treesit.el-based modes should use,
or is this only being done to prevent conflicts with existing modes in
Emacs? I ask since there isn't an existing major mode for this language
yet, so I'm not sure whether it's good practice for me to include "ts"
in the mode name.

Thanks,
Ruby

* Re: Naming conventions for major modes based on tree-sitter
@ 2023-06-26 11:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-26 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ruby Iris Juric <ruby@srxl.me>
> Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:13:11 +1000
>
> I'm currently developing a major mode based on treesit.el. It seems like
> all major modes included in Emacs include the "ts" signifier in their
> name - is this a convention that all treesit.el-based modes should use,
> or is this only being done to prevent conflicts with existing modes in
> Emacs? I ask since there isn't an existing major mode for this language
> yet, so I'm not sure whether it's good practice for me to include "ts"
> in the mode name.

IMO, it is better to have "-ts-" in the mode's name, so that both
users and developers have an indication that the mode needs
tree-sitter.