* Russian typing tutorial?
@ 2012-07-09 13:50 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-07-09 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Is there a tutorial for typing in Russian in emacs?

I'm using emacs 23.4 on Cygwin on Windows 7.

gtypist is unfortunately not the answer since my work PC is in English with no Cyrillic fonts and I have no option to change that. gtypist is very unhappy doing anything under X, complaining with the error "Redirection is not supported."

Emacs and X, however, already have the right pieces. It seems like a natural thing.

Thanks.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: testing is the treatment. - - K. Beck

* Re: Russian typing tutorial?
@ 2012-07-09 14:07 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-07-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-07-09, Doug Lewan wrote:

> Is there a tutorial for typing in Russian in emacs?
>
> I'm using emacs 23.4 on Cygwin on Windows 7.
>
> gtypist is unfortunately not the answer since my work PC is in English with
> no Cyrillic fonts and I have no option to change that. gtypist is very
> unhappy doing anything under X, complaining with the error "Redirection is
> not supported."
>
> Emacs and X, however, already have the right pieces. It seems like a natural
> thing.

As far I know there are no teachers for typing in Emacs...

You can print Russian layout from:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Russian

Or ever use Emacs for this purpose:

  M-x describe-input-method russian-computer RET

To learn typing in Emacs I may suggest divide Emacs on 2 window by C-x 2, open
Russian text (C-x C-f file RET, and optionally C-x RET R UTF-8 RET to set
proper coding system) in one window and try to type it in second window...

To switch input method use C-\...

--
Best regards!

* Re: Russian typing tutorial?
@ 2012-07-09 16:05 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-07-09 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Is there a tutorial for typing in Russian in emacs?

I learnt touch typing (in English) using typespeed.  I will recommend it
highly.  I am not sure about the russian language support though.

* Re: Russian typing tutorial?
@ 2012-07-10  8:31 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2012-07-10  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> wrote:
> Is there a tutorial for typing in Russian in emacs?
>
> I'm using emacs 23.4 on Cygwin on Windows 7.

Assuming your goal is to learn touch typing in Russian on Windows, you
might try any of the available Windows- or web-based Russian typing
tutors. I also assume you can read Russian; if this is the case, just
google for клавиатурный тренажёр and choose one you like.

I do not understand the part about "no Cyrillic fonts". Windows has
had Cyrillic support out of the box since at least Windows 2000.
(Non-Unicode and console programs might not be able to use Cyrillic
unless you change the global system locale; this can be worked around
by using AppLocale which allows setting the locale for specific
applications.)