* emacs, cygwin, and printing to a network HP Laserjet
@ 2004-09-16 19:47 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-09-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't seen any references to this anywhere I've looked (but
perhaps I've got my blinders on).

Has anyone seen any docs about using Emacs under Cygwin to print to a
laser printer connected to a computer running Windows XP?

I can print to it okay from my XP utils, of course, but I would like
to set it up to print from emacs.

* Re: emacs, cygwin, and printing to a network HP Laserjet
       [not found] <mailman.3033.1095364591.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-16 20:08 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2004-09-16 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you using the cygwin version of Emacs or the XP version with
Cygwin also installed?

(I'm not even sure that matters come to think of it... :)

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

@ 2004-09-16 20:21 ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2004-09-16 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

J. David Boyd wrote:

> I haven't seen any references to this anywhere I've looked (but
> perhaps I've got my blinders on).
>
> Has anyone seen any docs about using Emacs under Cygwin to print to a
> laser printer connected to a computer running Windows XP?
>
> I can print to it okay from my XP utils, of course, but I would like
> to set it up to print from emacs.

I haven't found a way for Windows NT 4 (yes, still using it at work),
but I htmlize the region I want to print, and then print it (in colour),
from my browser.

HTH (but I guess not ;-))

Arjan

If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by
its three letter accronym, hetnet.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett

@ 2004-09-17  9:28 ` martin
From: martin @ 2004-09-17  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JDB" == J David Boyd <dave@adboyd.com> writes:
 JDB> Date: 16 Sep 2004 15:47:32 -0400
 JDB> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
 JDB>
 JDB> I haven't seen any references to this anywhere I've looked (but
 JDB> perhaps I've got my blinders on).
 JDB>
 JDB> Has anyone seen any docs about using Emacs under Cygwin to print to a
 JDB> laser printer connected to a computer running Windows XP?
 JDB>
 JDB> I can print to it okay from my XP utils, of course, but I would like
 JDB> to set it up to print from emacs.

hi,

i'm using

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195) of 2003-03-28 on buffy

and just customized the variable printer-name.

what does C-h v printer-name RET say ?

martin

--
martin dot fischer at boschrexroth dot de

* Re: emacs, cygwin, and printing to a network HP Laserjet
@ 2004-09-17 13:21   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-09-17 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris McMahan <cmcmahan@thenumber1spelledout.net> writes:

> Are you using the cygwin version of Emacs or the XP version with
> Cygwin also installed?
>
> (I'm not even sure that matters come to think of it... :)
>
> - Chris

It might not matter, or it might, but I am using Cygwin, and the emacs that is in cygwin.

Dave

* Re: emacs, cygwin, and printing to a network HP Laserjet
@ 2004-09-17 13:31   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-09-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

martin@rochooni.net writes:

> i'm using
>
> GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195) of 2003-03-28 on buffy
>
> and just customized the variable printer-name.
>
> what does C-h v printer-name RET say ?
>
> martin

printer-name was empty, print command was lpr.

I tried different combos, setting the printer name to the URL of the
printer, print command to "", "print", etc, but none work.

It must be different using the NT version of emacs, versus the Cygwin
version of emacs.

Oh well, I'll see what I can figure out...

Dave