* Emacs corrupted
@ 2006-12-20 12:44 DigitalDingo
From: DigitalDingo @ 2006-12-20 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

A couple of days ago I tried to open both Emacs and Maple using the Deskbar
in Ubuntu with the command “emacs & xmaple”. Well, it was a try – and it
didn't work either – and now emacs seems to have been corrupted. Much of the
text is just squares and the menu bar has an ugly large font as you can see
on the screen shots. Also, when I hover the pointer over something, it
should bring up a description, but it just shows squares.
I don't use an .emacs file.

Does anyone know how to correct this?

http://www.nabble.com/file/4959/emacs1.png
http://www.nabble.com/file/4960/emacs2.png
http://www.nabble.com/file/4961/emacs3.png

* Re: Emacs corrupted
       [not found] <mailman.2138.1166618695.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-20 19:03 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-20 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

DigitalDingo wrote:
> A couple of days ago I tried to open both Emacs and Maple using the Deskbar
> in Ubuntu with the command "emacs & xmaple". Well, it was a try - and it
> didn't work either - and now emacs seems to have been corrupted. Much of the
> text is just squares and the menu bar has an ugly large font as you can see
> on the screen shots. Also, when I hover the pointer over something, it
> should bring up a description, but it just shows squares.
> I don't use an .emacs file.
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4959/emacs1.png
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4960/emacs2.png
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4961/emacs3.png

This isn't corruption of Emacs itself, it's an Ubuntu bug AFAIK.
>From a previous post of mine....

This problem is the interaction of Emacs and X.org config.  It can
affect Debian and Ubuntu.  See the Debian bug
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=352811 and the Ubuntu
bug https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/53038.
There has been quite a lot of discussion about where to best fix it.
See the threads for details.

It affects every part of X on the relevant distributions.  Type
"xfontsel" to see what I mean.
The problem is fonts used to be in /usr/share/X11/fonts/ now they are
in /usr/share/fonts/X11/, the config file xorg.conf was not updated to
reflect this change.

Dave Love wrote a patch to fix it:
http://librarian.launchpad.net/4860914/diff

* Re: Emacs corrupted
@ 2006-12-21 15:19   ` DigitalDingo
From: DigitalDingo @ 2006-12-21 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you!

That patch from Dave Love worked perfectly!

@ 2006-12-21 17:02 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

DigitalDingo <digitaldingo@gmail.com> writes:

> A couple of days ago I tried to open both Emacs and Maple using the Deskbar
> in Ubuntu with the command “emacs & xmaple”. Well, it was a try – and it
> didn't work either – and now emacs seems to have been corrupted. Much of the
> text is just squares and the menu bar has an ugly large font as you can see
> on the screen shots. Also, when I hover the pointer over something, it
> should bring up a description, but it just shows squares.
> I don't use an .emacs file.
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4959/emacs1.png
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4960/emacs2.png
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4961/emacs3.png
> --

Square boxes instead of characters is usually a sign emacs cannot find
the fonts it is looking for. If your running under X, make sure you
have the required fonts installed. If your X uses a font server, make
sure it is running and you can query it.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au