* Re: how to position cursor at top/middle/bottom of the current screen?
       [not found] <mailman.624.1223507380.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-08 23:42 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2762.1225711680.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-10-08 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using this function for many years. It cycles the current
cursor and text position from the middle to the top then to the bottom
of the screen and back.

Just hit C-l repeatedly to change position.

I think this is what you're looking for...

- Chris

;;;======================================================================
;;; modify the buffer centering command C-l
;; (thanks to Michael.Luetzeler@unibw-muenchen.de)
(defun cm-recenter-display (arg)
  "Move point in window and redisplay screen.
First time, leaves point in the middle of the window.
Second time, leaves point near top of window.
Third time, leaves point near bottom of window.
With just one \\[universal-argument] arg, redraw screen without moving point.
With numeric arg, redraw around that line."
  (interactive "P")
    (cond ((consp arg)
	   (recenter)
	   (recenter line));; (redraw-display) bombs in Epoch 3.1.
	  (arg
	   (recenter (prefix-numeric-value arg)))
	((eq last-command 'recenter-first)
	   (setq this-command 'recenter-second)
	   (recenter 1))
	((eq last-command 'recenter-second)
	   (setq this-command nil)
	   (recenter -2))
	(t
	   (setq this-command 'recenter-first)
	   (recenter nil))))

(global-set-key "\C-l" 'cm-recenter-display)
;;;======================================================================

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: how to position cursor at top/middle/bottom of the current screen?
@ 2008-11-03  9:25   ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2762.1225711680.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-11-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chris McMahan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   I've been using this function for many years. It cycles the current
   cursor and text position from the middle to the top then to the bottom
   of the screen and back.

   Just hit C-l repeatedly to change position.

See `recenter-top-bottom' that just does the same thing.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2008-11-03 13:29     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-03 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
>    I've been using this function for many years. It cycles the current
>    cursor and text position from the middle to the top then to the bottom
>    of the screen and back.
>
>    Just hit C-l repeatedly to change position.
>
> See `recenter-top-bottom' that just does the same thing.
>
> 	Xavier

Would it be possible to quote the information you are replying to? It
simplifies following the thread. See ">" above which is the gnus standard.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970