* Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-01  5:01 Tennis Smith
From: Tennis Smith @ 2004-02-01  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Anyone have code that will force a re-read of a "local variables:"
sections in a file?

I have several files with this sort of data appended at the bottom:

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ;;; Local Variables: ***
# ;;; mode: tcl ***
# ;;; project: SUMCHK ***
# ;;; End: ***

If I change the "project" var in the file, is there a way to have
emacs reread this?

TIA,
-Tennis

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-01  5:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-01  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: tennis_smith@yahoo.com (Tennis Smith)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 31 Jan 2004 21:01:42 -0800
>
> Anyone have code that will force a re-read of a "local variables:"
> sections in a file?

Try this:

   "M-: (hack-local-variables) RET"

You need to type that with the file's buffer being the current
selected buffer.

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-02 13:23 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2004-02-02 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

tennis_smith@yahoo.com (Tennis Smith) writes:

> Anyone have code that will force a re-read of a "local variables:"
> sections in a file?
>
> I have several files with this sort of data appended at the bottom:
>
> # -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # ;;; Local Variables: ***
> # ;;; mode: tcl ***
> # ;;; project: SUMCHK ***
> # ;;; End: ***
>
> If I change the "project" var in the file, is there a way to have
> emacs reread this?

If your auto-mode detection is set up correctly and if you don't have
important buffer-local variables other than those in the “Local
Variables” section, you can just do M-x normal-mode RET.

I mention these two “ifs” above, because as far as buffer variables
are concerned this has basically the same effect as killing the buffer
and re-visiting it.

Btw, you probably know this, but if ‘#’ is the comment character of
your language, you can just write:

# Local Variables:
# mode: tcl
# project: SUMCHK
# End:

    Oliver
--
14 Pluviôse an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-02 15:06 ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-02-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> Anyone have code that will force a re-read of a "local variables:"
> sections in a file?

I have attatched some code I use (and find quite useful) for
manipulating buffer-variables:

[-- Attachment #2: buffer-variables.el --]

[-- Attachment #3: my-buffer-variables.el --]

Please ask if you have questions.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-02 23:08   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-02-02 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz wrote:

> If your auto-mode detection is set up correctly and if you don't have
> important buffer-local variables other than those in the “Local
> Variables” section, you can just do M-x normal-mode RET.
>
> I mention these two “ifs” above, because as far as buffer variables
> are concerned this has basically the same effect as killing the buffer
> and re-visiting it.

So why not just type `C-x C-v RET'?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-03  0:18   ` Tennis Smith
From: Tennis Smith @ 2004-02-03  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eh? :)

All I got was this:

@ 2004-02-03  4:29     ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2004-02-03  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Oliver Scholz wrote:
>
>> If your auto-mode detection is set up correctly and if you don't have
>> important buffer-local variables other than those in the “Local
>> Variables” section, you can just do M-x normal-mode RET.
>> I mention these two “ifs” above, because as far as buffer variables
>> are concerned this has basically the same effect as killing the buffer
>> and re-visiting it.
>
> So why not just type `C-x C-v RET'?
[...]

Without `saveplace' you probably suddenly look at a different place in
the file after doing `C-x C-v RET'. Also you loose the information
about the file encoding, for example if you visited the file with
`C-x RET c some-fancy-coding-system RET C-x C-f'

    Oliver
--
15 Pluviôse an 212 de la Révolution

@ 2004-02-03  9:14     ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-02-03  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

tennis_smith@yahoo.com (Tennis Smith) writes:

> Eh? :)
>
> All I got was this:
>
> Joakim Hove <hove@bccs.no> wrote in message news:<4yoeshh65x.fsf@skjellgran.ii.uib.no>...
>> Please ask if you have questions.

That was weird - I can read my own news-posting alright. Anyway, I
had included two small lisp files which implement functionality which
I use quite a lot to manipulate buffer-variables.

I then tried mailing to: tennis_smith@yahoo.com, but this mail
bounced due to an exceeded quota at yahoo. If you provide me with
another e-mail adress I can mail it to you.

@ 2004-02-03 10:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-02-03 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 03 2004, Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Oliver Scholz wrote:
>
>> [...] M-x normal-mode RET [...]
>
> So why not just type `C-x C-v RET'?

The latter doesn't preserve point and mark.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-03 17:57       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-02-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
 >>So why not just type `C-x C-v RET'?
 > Without `saveplace' you probably suddenly look at a different place in
 > the file after doing `C-x C-v RET'.

Good point, also made by Reiner in his reply.  But `M-x revert-buffer
RET yes RET' handles that, although it's a lot of typing unless you
define a keyboard macro for it.

 > Also you loose the information
 > about the file encoding, for example if you visited the file with
 > `C-x RET c some-fancy-coding-system RET C-x C-f'

Ouch, that's a tricky one.  If `C-x RET c some-fancy-coding system RET
M-x revert-buffer RET' works, you'd just have to automatically save
"some-fancy-coding-system" to make it easy to insert into the minibuffer
-- maybe in a register?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
@ 2004-02-03 19:11       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-02-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 03 2004, Joakim Hove wrote:

> tennis_smith@yahoo.com (Tennis Smith) writes:
[...]
>> All I got was this:
>>
>> Joakim Hove <hove@bccs.no> wrote in message news:<4yoeshh65x.fsf@skjellgran.ii.uib.no>...
>>> Please ask if you have questions.
>
> That was weird [...]

Not really.  Tennis read news via the Goggle interface and Google
doesn't archive attachments.

For some reason Google only archives the last part, "<4 text>" in your
article:

,----[ `C-d' on <news:4yoeshh65x.fsf@skjellgran.ii.uib.no> ]
| Joakim Hove          <* mixed> Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
|  Joakim Hove          <4 text>
|  Joakim Hove          <3 emacs-lisp>
|  Joakim Hove          <2 emacs-lisp>
|  Joakim Hove          <1 text>
`----

You could include lisp code inline and Tennis should get a real
newsreader instead of using Google, preferably Gnus of course. :-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)