* visualize evil insert mode
@ 2018-07-04  6:44 emacs-list-18
From: emacs-list-18 @ 2018-07-04  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

 i am searching for ideas how to visualize that evil mode is in insert
 state.

 Till now i use a funvtion that is hooked into the post-command-hook
 that moves an overlay (face bold) like this:

(defun ck/evil/move-insert-mode-overlay()
  "move the insert mode overlay"
  (move-overlay ck/insert-mode-overlay (line-beginning-position)
                                       (line-end-position))
  )

 This works, but is not that nice. For example on an empty line, i dont
 have any visual feedback.

Any other ideas for this? No, hl-line-mode  does not count... ;-)

Chris

* Re: visualize evil insert mode
@ 2018-07-04 13:04 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2018-07-04 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

emacs-list-18@pgxml.net writes:

>  i am searching for ideas how to visualize that evil mode is in insert
>  state.
>
>  Till now i use a funvtion that is hooked into the post-command-hook
>  that moves an overlay (face bold) like this:
>
> (defun ck/evil/move-insert-mode-overlay()
>   "move the insert mode overlay"
>   (move-overlay ck/insert-mode-overlay (line-beginning-position)
>                                        (line-end-position))
>   )
>
>  This works, but is not that nice. For example on an empty line, i dont
>  have any visual feedback.
>
> Any other ideas for this? No, hl-line-mode  does not count... ;-)

It depends on what you mean when you say "visualize".

I use

(setq evil-insert-state-cursor '("red" hbar))
(setq evil-insert-state-tag
  (propertize "<I>" 'face '((:foreground "white" :background "red"))))

Similar for the other modes.

* Re: visualize evil insert mode
@ 2018-07-04 13:14 ` Bingo
From: Bingo @ 2018-07-04 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le 4 juillet 2018 12:14:08 GMT+05:30, emacs-list-18@pgxml.net a écrit :
>Hi,
>
> i am searching for ideas how to visualize that evil mode is in insert
> state.
>
> Till now i use a funvtion that is hooked into the post-command-hook
> that moves an overlay (face bold) like this:
>
>(defun ck/evil/move-insert-mode-overlay()
>  "move the insert mode overlay"
>  (move-overlay ck/insert-mode-overlay (line-beginning-position)
>                                       (line-end-position))
>  )
>
> This works, but is not that nice. For example on an empty line, i dont
> have any visual feedback.
>
>Any other ideas for this? No, hl-line-mode  does not count... ;-)
>
>Chris

I find it easier to change the color of mode-line according to evil state : https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil#toc18

It is always in peripheral vision, so once I got used to it, I never lacked the evil state awareness.

* Re: visualize evil insert mode
@ 2018-07-05  6:30   ` emacs-list-18
From: emacs-list-18 @ 2018-07-05  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> emacs-list-18@pgxml.net writes:
>
>>  i am searching for ideas how to visualize that evil mode is in insert
>>  state.

[...]

> Any other ideas for this? No, hl-line-mode  does not count... ;-)
>
> It depends on what you mean when you say "visualize".
>
> I use
>
> (setq evil-insert-state-cursor '("red" hbar))
> (setq evil-insert-state-tag
>   (propertize "<I>" 'face '((:foreground "white" :background "red"))))
>
> Similar for the other modes.

Thank you, i did not know that! :-)

To be a bit more precise...

- shows the current line where the cursor is (works halfway)
- shows the current line even if it is empty (i am experimenting with
  overlays here)
- works on terminals with less than 256 colors.

Chris