* Windows text files saved as Unix files
@ 2004-03-04 19:57 Feghhi, Jalil
From: Feghhi, Jalil @ 2004-03-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just installed the Windows versions of emacs and when I edit text files on my Windows they are saved with unix-stype linefeeds. When I open these files, I see Unix at the left hand side of the buffer too.

I searched for some time and found several articles on this but nothing that could help me. How can I fix this problem? Also, why the default installation for Windows is like this?

Thanks for the help.

-Jalil
ps. Please reply to my email address as I am not part of the mailing list yet.

* Re: Windows text files saved as Unix files
@ 2004-03-10  5:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-10  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Feghhi, Jalil" <JFeghhi@visa.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:57:10 -0800
>
> I just installed the Windows versions of emacs and when I edit text files on my Windows they are saved with unix-stype linefeeds. When I open these files, I see Unix at the left hand side of the buffer too.
>
> I searched for some time and found several articles on this but nothing that could help me. How can I fix this problem? Also, why the default installation for Windows is like this?

Are these new files you create with Emacs, or are these existing
files you edit?

If the latter, Emacs preserves their original end-of-line format; if
they originally had Unix-style linefeeds, Emacs will save the edited
file with the same end-of-line format.

If these are new files created by Emacs, it's probably something in
your customization, as by default Emacs on Windows creates files with
Windows-style CR-LF pairs at the end of each line.  Try invoking Emacs
with "emacs -q" and see if that helps; if it does, look inside your
.emacs (or _emacs) init file for some customization that causes this.
Things to watch for are setting of the defaults for files'
coding-system and use of untranslated-filesystem feature.

* Re: Windows text files saved as Unix files
       [not found] <mailman.1305.1078872185.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-03-10  7:37 ` martin
From: martin @ 2004-03-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: JFeghhi

"FJ" == Feghhi, Jalil <JFeghhi@visa.com> writes:
 FJ> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:57:10 -0800
 FJ> To: "'help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
 FJ>
 FJ> I just installed the Windows versions of emacs and when I edit text
 FJ> files on my Windows they are saved with unix-stype linefeeds. When I
 FJ> open these files, I see Unix at the left hand side of the buffer too.
 FJ>
 FJ> I searched for some time and found several articles on this but
 FJ> nothing that could help me. How can I fix this problem?

hi,

use C-x RET f (runs the command set-buffer-file-coding-system) and
type "dos" RET at the command prompt. then save the file and that's
it.

martin

--
martin dot fischer at boschrexroth dot de

* Re: Windows text files saved as Unix files
@ 2004-03-10  8:54   ` Mario Domgörgen
From: Mario Domgörgen @ 2004-03-10  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

martin@rochooni.net writes:

> use C-x RET f (runs the command set-buffer-file-coding-system) and
> type "dos" RET at the command prompt. then save the file and that's
> it.

And if that works with one file , you can put:

(set-default-coding-systems 'dos)

in your .emacs.

HTH,

Mario