* emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-04 16:38 Martin Ivanov
From: Martin Ivanov @ 2006-11-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I am running Slackware Linux 11.0 with   kernel 2.6.18 and Gnu Emacs 21.4a.
I set emacs to be able to write cyrillic using the bulgarian.el file:
http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~ogi/bulgarian.el
My problem is, what should I do so that when I open a file with cyrillic letters, after having saved it, it is displayed correctly. I tried saving with a variety of encodins, but in vain. Besides, I want to enable spell-check for bulgarian, but I do not know how. I have installed ispell-bg and in /usr/lib/ispell I have the files bulgarian.hash and bulgarian.aff, but emacs does not seem to see them.

I would be thankful to any suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Martin

Survivor BG. Оцеляването продължава на www.survivor.btv.bg

* Re: emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-04 20:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-04 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 04.11.2006 um 17:38 schrieb Martin Ivanov:

> Hello!
>
> I am running Slackware Linux 11.0 with   kernel 2.6.18 and Gnu
> Emacs 21.4a.
> I set emacs to be able to write cyrillic using the bulgarian.el file:
> http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~ogi/bulgarian.el

IMO this file is too old for a modern Emacs.

> My problem is, what should I do so that when I open a file with
> cyrillic letters, after having saved it, it is displayed correctly.
> I tried saving with a variety of encodins, but in vain.

Instead set an environment variable LANG or LC_CTYPE with a locale
value your OS provides. I have for the purpose to use Unicode set it
to de_DE.UTF-8, you need something Bulgarian + an adequate encoding,
bg_BG.CP1251 or bg_BG.ISO8859-5? bg_BG.UTF-8 might be also a useful
value. GNU Emacs learns from this environment variable and sets a few
things automatically right. You can direct GNU Emacs by setting for
example (there are more!):

	(set-default-coding-systems             'value)
	(setq file-name-coding-system           'value)
	(setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'value)
	(set-keyboard-coding-system             'value)
	(set-terminal-coding-system             'value)
	(set-clipboard-coding-system            'value)
	(set-selection-coding-system            'value)
	(prefer-coding-system                   'iso-8859-5)	; for example

> Besides, I want to enable spell-check for bulgarian, but I do not
> know how. I have installed ispell-bg and in /usr/lib/ispell I have
> the files bulgarian.hash and bulgarian.aff, but emacs does not seem
> to see them.

To check what ispell sees, first check whether GNU Emacs is really
set to use ispell! Some time ago a decision was made to substitute
ispell with aspell. You can correct this fault:

	(setq ispell-program-name "ispell")

You can make this corrective setting active when eval the expression
in *scratch* buffer. Now select from the Tools menu "Spell Checking"
and then "Change Dictionary..." Now press TAB in mini-buffer. Voilà,
there they are!

For flexibility I have set:

      (setq ispell-dictionary "german8")
      (if (string= "aspell" ispell-program-name)
         (progn
;         (setq ispell-extra-args "--norm-form=comp --norm-required --
run-together")?
;         (setq ispell-dictionary "en_GB-ise-w_accents")
           (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary ispell-dictionary)
           (add-hook 'TeX-language-en-hook
		    (function (lambda () (ispell-change-dictionary "british"))))
           (add-hook 'TeX-language-de-hook
		    (function (lambda () (ispell-change-dictionary ispell-
dictionary))))
           (message "Alles für «a»spell")
	)
         (setq ispell-dictionary "german8")
         (add-hook 'TeX-language-en-hook
		  (function (lambda () (ispell-change-dictionary "british"))))
         (add-hook 'TeX-language-de-hook
		  (function (lambda () (ispell-change-dictionary "deutsch8"))))
         (message "Alles für »i«spell")
       )
       (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
		(function (lambda () (setq ispell-extra-args '("-t")))))

--
Greetings

   Pete

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

* Re: emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-05  1:44   ` ken
From: ken @ 2006-11-05  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/04/2006 03:08 PM somebody named Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Instead set an environment variable LANG or LC_CTYPE with a locale value
> your OS provides. I have for the purpose to use Unicode set it to
> de_DE.UTF-8, you need something Bulgarian + an adequate encoding,
> bg_BG.CP1251 or bg_BG.ISO8859-5? bg_BG.UTF-8 might be also a useful
> value. GNU Emacs learns from this environment variable and sets a few
> things automatically right. You can direct GNU Emacs by setting for
> example (there are more!):
>
>     (set-default-coding-systems             'value)
>     (setq file-name-coding-system           'value)
>     (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'value)
>     (set-keyboard-coding-system             'value)
>     (set-terminal-coding-system             'value)
>     (set-clipboard-coding-system            'value)
>     (set-selection-coding-system            'value)
>     (prefer-coding-system                   'iso-8859-5)    ; for example

Do you mean the literal "value"...?  Or do you mean "some appropriate
value should be here"?

BTW... Thanks for all the tips.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only

* Re: emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-05  8:53     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-05  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 05.11.2006 um 02:44 schrieb ken:

> Do you mean the literal "value"...?  Or do you mean "some appropriate
> value should be here"?

The latter. Only the last was given as an actual example.

Don't use too many of these! GNU Emacs should be able to set most of
them right from LANG or LC_CTYPE.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like
to do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care
to live.
                                    -- Bradford Angier

* Re: emacs cyrillic
       [not found] <2032892203.462561162683925062.JavaMail.nobody@mail08.abv.bg>
@ 2006-11-05 15:03 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 05.11.2006 um 00:45 schrieb Martin Ivanov:

> What should I do so that there is an option "bulgarian" to choose
> when I do
> M-x ispell-change-dictionary

It's possible that the makers of your ispell or ispell-bg packages
changed some default values in the ispell binary. You could search
for useful strings inside the binary with the strings programme. It
should output ISPELL_DICTDIR and then a path. If this is true, then
you can set ispell-library-directory to the proper value. Could be
you need first to (require 'ispell) to effectively change these
values, a standard GNU Emacs setup has this require statement
somewhere in its start-up set.

The second, which you probably did not want to read, understand, and
check is that GNU Emacs understands "ispell" as "aspell" (a different
programme with a different set of dictionaries: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/
aspell/dict/bg/) in the last years. What is your ispell-program-name?
If you set it right, to "ispell," does ispell-program-name still not
see bulgarian.{aff,hash}?

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield

* Re: emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-05 16:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-11-05 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:03:28 +0100
> Cc: GNU Emacs List <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> It's possible that the makers of your ispell or ispell-bg packages
> changed some default values in the ispell binary. You could search
> for useful strings inside the binary with the strings programme.

There's no need for such extreme measures: "ispell -vv" should display
all those strings in human-readable English.

* Re: emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-05 20:29     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.11.2006 um 17:54 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
>> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:03:28 +0100
>> Cc: GNU Emacs List <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> It's possible that the makers of your ispell or ispell-bg packages
>> changed some default values in the ispell binary. You could search
>> for useful strings inside the binary with the strings programme.
>
> There's no need for such extreme measures: "ispell -vv" should display
> all those strings in human-readable English.

And it's even less output!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best".
                                      -- H. Allen Smith

* emacs cyrillic
@ 2006-11-07 13:03 Martin Ivanov
From: Martin Ivanov @ 2006-11-07 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again!

I changed LANG fron en.us to bg_BG. Then I started emacs with the option -q and opened a file previously saved with cyrillic text. It was not displayed correctly. Then I started emacs without the option -q and the file was diplayed as it should have been. Obvoiusly the bulgarian.el file is necessary, I do not know why. This is the complete list of choices I have when I choose to change the ispell dictionary:

american			   brasileiro
british				   castellano
castellano8			   czech
dansk				   default
deutsch				   deutsch8
english				   esperanto
esperanto-tex			   francais
francais-tex			   francais7
german				   german8
italiano			   nederlands
nederlands8			   norsk
norsk7-tex			   polish
portugues			   russian
slovak				   svenska

What can be done so that bulgarian appears in that menu?
If I choose something different from american or english, emacs complains it cannot find the respective .hash file in /usr/lib/ispell. And it is ok, since the contents of /usr/lib ispell is :

american.hash@    bg.multi       bulgarian.aff    bulgarian.kbd  english.hash@
americanmed.hash  bg.rws         bulgarian.alias  cp1251.dat
bg.dat            bg_phonet.dat  bulgarian.hash   english.aff

I am sorry if I bore you, but I wish to be as clear as possible with the risk of repeating things.
Besides, there is another point. If I run ispell american in flyspell mode on a file that contains both cyrillic and latin words, only the latin words are underlined. the cyrillic word are not considered mistake, which is strange to me.

I am so thankful to you for your responsiveness.

Regards,
Martin

@ 2006-11-07 23:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-11-07 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post.]

Martin Ivanov wrote:
 > I changed LANG fron en.us to bg_BG. Then I started emacs with the
 > option -q and opened a file previously saved with cyrillic text. It
 > was not displayed correctly.

At that point, what does `C-h C RET' display?