* Emacsclient, new frame and xft fonts
@ 2008-05-01 12:37 Petteri
From: Petteri @ 2008-05-01 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

I'm using Emacs snapshot packaged for debian
(http://emacs.orebokech.com/), whichs is basically Emacs from cvs.

I'm wandering if it possible to get xft fonts for frame started from
"emacsclient -c" when I have started emacs server from commandline emacs
"emacs -nw". If it is, how?

When I start emacs without -nw option and then use "emacsclient -c" I
get nice fonts also to the new frame started for the client.

--
 ___.  /     \  .___
 "Y/|\ | 0 o / /|\Y"

* Re: Emacsclient, new frame and xft fonts
@ 2008-05-01 22:43 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-01 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petteri; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.05.2008 um 14:37 schrieb Petteri:

> I'm wandering if it possible to get xft fonts for frame started from
> "emacsclient -c" when I have started emacs server from commandline
> emacs
> "emacs -nw". If it is, how?

You could try to use an X resource or default-frame-alist (there is
also initial-frame-alist).

--
Greetings

   Pete

  "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away."
				– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Emacsclient, new frame and xft fonts
@ 2008-05-02 20:16   ` Petteri
From: Petteri @ 2008-05-02 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa kirjoitti pe  2. toukokuuta 2008 00:43:31:

> Am 01.05.2008 um 14:37 schrieb Petteri:
>
>> I'm wandering if it possible to get xft fonts for frame started from
>> "emacsclient -c" when I have started emacs server from commandline
>> emacs "emacs -nw". If it is, how?
>
> You could try to use an X resource or default-frame-alist (there is
> also initial-frame-alist).

Thanks! I got xft fonts working with emacsclient -c when I added
Emacs.font property to my ~/.Xresources file.

Like this:

echo "Emacs.font: Dejavu Sans Mono-9" >> ~/.Xresources
xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

--
 ___.  /     \  .___

@ 2008-05-03  8:02     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petteri; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.05.2008 um 22:16 schrieb Petteri:

> echo "Emacs.font: Dejavu Sans Mono-9" >> ~/.Xresources

You can also use the Emacs.FontBackend resource. It can be set use
the x, the xft, or the ftx (FreeType 2) antialiasing techniques. It's
also possible to use a value of "x,xft" or "x,ftx" – but don't ask me
for more details! Some day they might be found in the manual ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?
				- Tom Stoppard