* changing number of columns.
@ 2006-09-25 15:38 DaLoverhino
From: DaLoverhino @ 2006-09-25 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I do ESC-q, it rearranges text to fill up a width of about 80
characters.

How do I change the width of a text page just for that session?  Or
change the default?

The reason why I ask is lot of these web-based email sites have a
character width of 60 chars or less, which is really annoying, when I
like to compose my emails through emacs, and copy and paste them  back
into the web interface.  (BTW, does gmail have a 60 char width?)

thanks.

* RE: changing number of columns.
@ 2006-09-25 15:55 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-09-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    When I do ESC-q, it rearranges text to fill up a width of about 80
    characters.
    How do I change the width of a text page just for that session?  Or
    change the default?

C-u C-x f

See C-h f set-fill-column

* Re: changing number of columns.
@ 2006-09-25 16:05 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-25 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.09.2006 um 17:38 schrieb DaLoverhino:

> When I do ESC-q, it rearranges text to fill up a width of about 80
> characters.
>
> How do I change the width of a text page just for that session?  Or
> change the default?

C-x f or set-fill-column. You can customise fill-column.

--
Greetings

   Pete

 From error to error, one discovers the entire truth.
                                                      - Sigmund Freud

* Re: changing number of columns.
@ 2006-09-25 16:10 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2006-09-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

set-fill-column is the function you want to use. Here's the info:

 set-fill-column is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
 It is bound to C-x f.
 (set-fill-column arg)

 Set `fill-column' to specified argument.
 Use C-u followed by a number to specify a column.
 Just C-u as argument means to use the current column.

Esc 60 M-x set-fill-column will set the column to 60

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: changing number of columns.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-25 16:11 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-25 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Sep 2006 08:38:30 -0700 "DaLoverhino" <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> wrote:

> When I do ESC-q, it rearranges text to fill up a width of about 80
> characters.
>
> How do I change the width of a text page just for that
> session?

C-u 60 C-x f

> Or change the default?

(setq-default fill-column 60)

> The reason why I ask is lot of these web-based email sites have a
> character width of 60 chars or less, which is really annoying, when I
> like to compose my emails through emacs, and copy and paste them  back
> into the web interface.  (BTW, does gmail have a 60 char width?)

Ugh...  Better use a normal SMTP server and some real MUA
(there are several available running in emacs).

David

* Re: changing number of columns.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-25 16:21 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-09-25 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

DaLoverhino wrote:
> When I do ESC-q, it rearranges text to fill up a width of about 80
> characters.
>
> How do I change the width of a text page just for that session?  Or
> change the default?

Set fill-column (C-h v):

,----[ C-h k M-q ]

`----