From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: M-x shell not working
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:00:26 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 19.10.2005 um 08:36 schrieb Sunil Yeddu:

> And everytime we open a new shell using xterm it is not getting the
> TERM variable.

So make it in xterm a login shell! xterm -ls ...

>      Also we have all the settings in a common cshrc file which we
> 'source' from our ~/.cshrc. And setting TERM is done in that common
> file.

Why do you want to set TERM in Emacs' shell? GNU Emacs is clever enough
to set it itself (to dumb). My previous hint with checking whether TERM
exists is valuable: only if not set source that group-wide .cshrc file!
The missing pieces from this file can be put into .emacs_csh to
initialise Emacs *shell* buffer.

> Also I feel, fiddling around with TERM variable is just a workaround.
> The problem of tty is still there. I still get warning message when I
> enter shell in emacs with 'setenv TERM ..' commented out.
>      Since it is working in emacs-20.7, there is some change done in
> emacs-21.4. If that is identified then may be we can find a solution.

You should be a bit more specific in which OS this happens. And check
GNU Emacs' eshell too! This one is more kind of a terminal emulation.
*shell* is just a buffer in which a UNIX shell interpreter runs which
does not need much code from a shell rc file.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by"
(Douglas Adams)