* termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-28 19:54 Stanley Yao
       [not found] ` <mailman.619.1059457211.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-07-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,
How could I tell if my gnu emacs 21.3.1 is using termcap or terminfo?
How to check the value of system-uses-terminfo?
I can get the syntax hightlighting, but can't get the colorful syntax
highlighting in the text console. ESC x list-colors-display gives nothing.
Thanks,
Stan

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-29  6:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.619.1059457211.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-07-29  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:54:54 -0700
>
> How could I tell if my gnu emacs 21.3.1 is using termcap or terminfo?
> How to check the value of system-uses-terminfo?

Evaluate it, like so:

	 M-: system-uses-terminfo RET

If it says "t", Emacs is using terminfo; otherwise, it is not.

* Re: termcap or terminfo
       [not found] ` <mailman.619.1059457211.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-07-29 21:23   ` Stanley Yao
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-07-29 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2003, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:54:54 -0700
> >
> > How could I tell if my gnu emacs 21.3.1 is using termcap or terminfo?
> > How to check the value of system-uses-terminfo?
>
> Evaluate it, like so:
>
> 	 M-: system-uses-terminfo RET
>
> If it says "t", Emacs is using terminfo; otherwise, it is not.

Thanks a lot. It's using terminfo and now I got color syntax highlighting
in emacs. But there are only 8 colors available by checking ESC-x
list-colors-display and the colors are mostly dark. How can I get more
colors and more bright colors? I modified the color#8 entry in terminfo
into color#256. But it did not make any difference. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Stan

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-29 23:15     ` Thomas Dickey
       [not found]     ` <mailman.695.1059541041.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2003-07-29 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stanley Yao <yao@cs.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Thanks a lot. It's using terminfo and now I got color syntax highlighting
> in emacs. But there are only 8 colors available by checking ESC-x
> list-colors-display and the colors are mostly dark. How can I get more
> colors and more bright colors? I modified the color#8 entry in terminfo
> into color#256. But it did not make any difference. Any suggestions?

Changing the "color#" value is not going to help.

The shades of color are (almost always) set by external configuration
details (e.g., resource values for xterm).  Different terminal emulators
provide support for different numbers of colors - typically 8.  A few
allow 16.  XFree86 xterm does 8/16/88/256 (with appropriate terminfo,
and application that knows how to use it).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@radix.net> <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
http://dickey.his.com

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-30  5:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.695.1059541041.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-07-30  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:23:34 -0700
> >
> But there are only 8 colors available by checking ESC-x
> list-colors-display and the colors are mostly dark. How can I get more
> colors and more bright colors? I modified the color#8 entry in terminfo
> into color#256. But it did not make any difference. Any suggestions?

I think you will need to wait for a future Emacs release.  The
development code supports 256-color xterm, but IIRC it is next to
impossible to get that in the currently released versions, even if you
frob tty-defined-color-alist to add the additional colors.

* Re: termcap or terminfo
       [not found]     ` <mailman.695.1059541041.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-07-30  8:08       ` Stanley Yao
       [not found]         ` <mailman.715.1059569231.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-07-30  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > But there are only 8 colors available by checking ESC-x
> > list-colors-display and the colors are mostly dark. How can I get more
> > colors and more bright colors? I modified the color#8 entry in terminfo
> > into color#256. But it did not make any difference. Any suggestions?
>
> I think you will need to wait for a future Emacs release.  The
> development code supports 256-color xterm, but IIRC it is next to
> impossible to get that in the currently released versions, even if you
> frob tty-defined-color-alist to add the additional colors.

Thanks for your help and information.
Now I stick to the 8 color. But I am trying to change them a bit
brighter, because they are now very dark and difficult to be seen on the
screen (expecially the blue color).
I guess I need to configure the terminfo to change the palette, right? I
read the terminfo manual about capabilities u1, u2, u3, u4, initc, etc.
Seems they are the ones to change the palette, but I can't find any
example of them on the google. I tried several times but failed. Where can
I get some examples of how to use the capabilities above?
Thanks a lot!
Stan

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-30 13:43         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.715.1059569231.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-07-30 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:08:14 -0700
>
> Now I stick to the 8 color. But I am trying to change them a bit
> brighter, because they are now very dark and difficult to be seen on the
> screen (expecially the blue color).
> I guess I need to configure the terminfo to change the palette, right?

If this is on xterm or some other terminal emulator, a much easier way
is to configure the emulator to use different colors for the 8 defined
color names.

* Re: termcap or terminfo
       [not found]         ` <mailman.715.1059569231.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-07-30 18:18           ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2003-07-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii
<eliz@elta.co.il>], who wrote in article <mailman.715.1059569231.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> > Now I stick to the 8 color. But I am trying to change them a bit
> > brighter, because they are now very dark and difficult to be seen on the
> > screen (expecially the blue color).
> > I guess I need to configure the terminfo to change the palette, right?
>
> If this is on xterm or some other terminal emulator, a much easier way
> is to configure the emulator to use different colors for the 8 defined
> color names.

FYI: I use this (but with light background):

*VT100*colorMode: on
*VT100*boldColors: on
*VT100*dynamicColors: on

! Uncomment this use color for underline attribute
!*VT100*colorULMode: on
!*VT100*underLine: off

*VT100*colorBDMode: on

*VT100*color0: black
*VT100*color1: red3
*VT100*color2: green3
*VT100*color3: yellow3
*VT100*color4: blue3
*VT100*color5: magenta3
*VT100*color6: cyan3
*VT100*color7: white
*VT100*color8: gray30
*VT100*color9: red
*VT100*color10: green
!*VT100*color11: yellow
*VT100*color11: goldenrod
*VT100*color12: blue
*VT100*color13: magenta
*VT100*color14: cyan
*VT100*color15: gray90
*VT100*colorUL: goldenrod
*VT100*colorBD: blue

Hope this helps,
Ilya

P.S.  Probably

  xrdb -merge NameOfFileWithThisSettings

is enough to change the colors for the future xterm's.

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-30 19:43             ` Stanley Yao
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-07-30 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii
> <eliz@elta.co.il>], who wrote in article <mailman.715.1059569231.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> > > Now I stick to the 8 color. But I am trying to change them a bit
> > > brighter, because they are now very dark and difficult to be seen on the
> > > screen (expecially the blue color).
> > > I guess I need to configure the terminfo to change the palette, right?
> >
> > If this is on xterm or some other terminal emulator, a much easier way
> > is to configure the emulator to use different colors for the 8 defined
> > color names.
>
> FYI: I use this (but with light background):
>
> *VT100*colorMode: on
> *VT100*boldColors: on
> *VT100*dynamicColors: on

Thank you both Mr./Mis. Zaretskii and Mr./Mis. Zakharevich!
I am not using an xterm on the X server. I just set the TERM to be
xterm-color or vt100 and use the text console in a SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0
on a windows XP machine and connect to a
Solaris machine in the department. I searched on SSH website for how to
change palette on the SSH client, but did not find anything. SSH Secure
Shell is different from the Xterm on Linux which support the change of
palette.
I checked ASNI color and they send strings like \e[{attr1};...;{attrn}m
to the terminal to specify the colors. Standard attributes are
0	Reset all attributes
1	Bright
2	Dim
4	Underscore
5	Blink
7	Reverse
8	Hidden

	Foreground Colors
30	Black
31	Red
32	Green
33	Yellow
34	Blue
35	Magenta
36	Cyan
37	White

	Background Colors
40	Black
41	Red
42	Green
43	Yellow
44	Blue
45	Magenta
46	Cyan
47	White
Seems the SSH Client can only get the code (or name of the colors)
representing colors but not the RGB values. Does this mean we can't change
the palette in the shell enviroment and we can only change the palette on
the terminal emulator?
Thanks!
Stan

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-31  0:02               ` Stanley Yao
       [not found]               ` <mailman.755.1059630524.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-07-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Stanley Yao wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
> > >
> > > If this is on xterm or some other terminal emulator, a much easier way
> > > is to configure the emulator to use different colors for the 8 defined
> > > color names.
> >
> > FYI: I use this (but with light background):
> >
> > *VT100*colorMode: on
> > *VT100*boldColors: on
> > *VT100*dynamicColors: on
>
> Thank you both Mr./Mis. Zaretskii and Mr./Mis. Zakharevich!
> I am not using an xterm on the X server. I just set the TERM to be
> xterm-color or vt100 and use the text console in a SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0
> on a windows XP machine and connect to a
> Solaris machine in the department. I searched on SSH website for how to
> change palette on the SSH client, but did not find anything. SSH Secure
> Shell is different from the Xterm on Linux which support the change of
> palette.

I guess I solve the problem by modifying the face inside Emacs. I make all
the font-lock faces "bold" so as to get much stronger color that can be
seen very clearly on the screen.

Thank you very much for your help!
Stan

* Re: termcap or terminfo
@ 2003-07-31  6:50               ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]               ` <mailman.755.1059630524.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-07-31  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:43:06 -0700
>
> I am not using an xterm on the X server. I just set the TERM to be
> xterm-color or vt100 and use the text console in a SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0
> on a windows XP machine and connect to a Solaris machine in the department.

What SSH client do you use on Windows?  I use PuTTY; it allows you to
customize the colors (see the "ANSI Black" etc. colors in the
"Colours" tab of the "PuTTY Configuration" dialog).

If you do not use PuTTY, I suggest to install it.

* Re: termcap or terminfo
       [not found]               ` <mailman.755.1059630524.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-07-31  8:11                 ` Stanley Yao
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-07-31  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2003, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:43:06 -0700
> >
> > I am not using an xterm on the X server. I just set the TERM to be
> > xterm-color or vt100 and use the text console in a SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0
> > on a windows XP machine and connect to a Solaris machine in the department.
>
> What SSH client do you use on Windows?  I use PuTTY; it allows you to
> customize the colors (see the "ANSI Black" etc. colors in the
> "Colours" tab of the "PuTTY Configuration" dialog).
>
> If you do not use PuTTY, I suggest to install it.

I am using SSH client from http://www.ssh.com/.
Yeah, I tried PuTTY some time ago too. It's pretty nice and free, plus I
can change the palette. Because I used SSH for a long time, I just get
used to it. Anyway, I am also trying PuTTY.
Thanks a lot!
Stan