From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to avoid having shell scripts which fail from killing Emacs shell?
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:49:44 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 22.06.2009 um 22:21 schrieb David Karr:

> I note that even though the Java class throws an exception, it doesn't
> cause the script to exit at that point. I tried putting an "echo"
> right after the Java call, and it executes fine.  Right after that (as
> it's the last line in the script), the script exits, and at my shell
> prompt, I see "% exit" (where "%" is my PS1), and my shell buffer
> terminates.

Could you try it with other shells, too? You still have no proof that
your bash is *not* broken. And, for another series of tests, you
could try the same in another account. And particularly when
launching GNU Emacs without customisation ...

Besides this, the bash in *shell* buffer can be initialised
differently than in an xterm. Bash is complicated.

OK, I do remember similiar events! It was in tcsh. And there were two
or three problems: a script was running wild, I was typing C-c or
such wildly, and ... well, it could have been in cpan (filling up my
root and boot file system). Anyway, in the end I saw the shell die,
and at this moment it's not possible to gain more information. There
were also events outside cpan. I do remember that I made mistakes,
typing C-d for example. There could be one plausible cause: when you
type input and your script is not prepared to read this, then GNU
Emacs has to save it. Maybe this period is limited. And then
something irregular could happen. I have no real idea, but what you
encounter is not impossible. (And maybe Cygwin adds something to make
it happen, it's an emulation in a host operating system.)

There is no chance to make the tests in a real UNIX environment?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Indentation?! I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!