* printing non latin chars
@ 2011-10-28 10:18 rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-10-28 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I just issued an emacs print (postscript print (black and white) for a
file of devanagari (sanskrit) text and I got a page full of '?'.
Pasting from emacs into libreoffice it worked fine.

Should emacs not at least warn that it cant handle non latin
characters?

OS debian/testing
emacs 23.3

* Re: printing non latin chars
@ 2011-11-03 23:33 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2011-11-03 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi rusi,

sorry to see that you didn't get more help.  I'm no expert here.

It seems to me that there is no trivial solution for what you want.

One possibility is to use BDF fonts for ps printing.  In Debian, install
the package "emacs-intl-fonts".  Then, set `ps-multibyte-buffer' to
'bdf-font.  After that, the ps files generated should use these BDF
fonts.  But don't be disappointed: They look not very elegant (bitmap
fonts).

Another possibility is to convert the buffer contents to html and use
some external program to print it.  You can use "htmlize.el" to do
this.  You can get it here:

   http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/

Hope that helps a bit,

Michael.