* Emacs 23 - unable to use mouse scroll on windows vista
@ 2009-09-03 15:45 fkunze
From: fkunze @ 2009-09-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Microsoft Windows Vista, with emacs 23.1, mouse scroll does not
work as expected. If
you split windows and change to the new window, the mouse still
scrolls the
previous window. Here's how to reproduce the behavior:

1. Run emacs 23.1
2. Open a text file
3. Split the window with C-x 2
4. Change to other window and try to scroll with the mouse (you end up
scrolling the initial window)

I get this behavior with two different computers:
  1 -  a Lenovo t61 running the (formerly IBM) trackpoint mouse
software that permits scrolling when you put pressure on a small stick
located in the middle of the keyboard,
   2 - a Dell XPS with an older IBM trackpoint keyboard (also running
drivers similar to the computer above.

I've tried setting mouse-wheel-follow-mouse to both t and nil. I've
experimented with mouse-wheel-mode.  All to no avail.

Running C-h k and scrolling the mouse in the other buffer returns:

    <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1> (translated from <mouse-1>) at
that
    spot runs the command scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll, which is an
    interactive compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar.el'.

    It is bound to <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1>.

    (scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll event)

    Not documented.

Some posts suggest that replacing the vendor-supplied mouse drivers
might solve this problem, but in my case I will lose the functionality
offered by IBM and Lenovo's trackpoint mouse.  Does anyone know how to
work around this problem?

* Re: Emacs 23 - unable to use mouse scroll on windows vista
@ 2009-09-03 23:59 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-09-03 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 3, 11:45 pm, fkunze <fku...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running C-h k and scrolling the mouse in the other buffer returns:
>
>     <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1> (translated from <mouse-1>) at
> that
>     spot runs the command scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll, which is an
>     interactive compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar.el'.
>
>     It is bound to <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1>.
>
>     (scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll event)
>
>     Not documented.

The scroll-wheel mapping to a scroll-bar mouse-1 event points to the
drivers not implementing scroll-wheel functionality, but using their
own heuristic to find the scroll bars and move them. I don't know why
so many laptop drivers do this (perhaps it is just one pointing device
manufacturer that is widely used).

> Some posts suggest that replacing the vendor-supplied mouse drivers
> might solve this problem, but in my case I will lose the functionality
> offered by IBM and Lenovo's trackpoint mouse.  Does anyone know how to
> work around this problem?

The options are:

1. Live with the current broken behaviour caused by the mouse drivers.
2. Switch to generic mouse drivers and lose the manufacturer's extra
functionality.
3. Complain to the manufacturer.
4. Write your own drivers.

There is nothing you can do from within Emacs, as the events it is
getting from your mouse driver are already mangled.

* Re: Emacs 23 - unable to use mouse scroll on windows vista
@ 2009-09-04 16:25 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-09-04 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fkunze; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > On Microsoft Windows Vista, with emacs 23.1, mouse scroll does not
 > work as expected. If
 > you split windows and change to the new window, the mouse still
 > scrolls the
 > previous window. Here's how to reproduce the behavior:
 >
 > 1. Run emacs 23.1
 > 2. Open a text file
 > 3. Split the window with C-x 2
 > 4. Change to other window and try to scroll with the mouse (you end up
 > scrolling the initial window)

I once wrote a workaround for a similar problem, see

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2008-09/msg00938.html

You could try the patch there (IIRC my basic idea was that Emacs
resamples the actual mouse position whenever it gets a vertical
scrollbar request, so the mouse must be in the window you want to
scroll).  If you have any questions please ask.

martin