* Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23.  and windows 7
@ 2010-05-30 20:46 killersudoku
From: killersudoku @ 2010-05-30 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently migrated to windows 7 and installed emacs 23.2.1.   Many
operations cause emacs to stall for more than 10 seconds.  For
example, opening a file usually causes this.  display-about-screen
(ctrl-h, ctrl-a) always causes this.   ctrl-g has no effect.  Any
suggestions?  Emacs is basically unusable.

I have cygwin installed, but not on my path.  Nothing else special
about the system.
I have my $HOME set.
after looking around I tried adding (setq w32-get-true-file-attributes
nil) to my .emacs. No help there.
I am doing this with a network connection.  That doesn't seem to
matter.