* Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
@ 2009-10-27  7:05 Water Lin
From: Water Lin @ 2009-10-27  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I don't want to configure Emacs again on my Linux Server, so I want to
use tramp to edit remote source file.

But I am using Windows XP, I tried tramp but Emacs crashed. I try to
google related information, but it seems nothing special.

Is it possible to use tramp under Windows XP?

Thanks

Water Lin

--
Water Lin's notes and pencils: http://en.waterlin.org
Email: WaterLin@ymail.com

* Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
@ 2009-10-27 17:18 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9580.1256675258.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-10-27 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.invalid> wrote:

> I don't want to configure Emacs again on my Linux Server, so I want to
> use tramp to edit remote source file.
>
> But I am using Windows XP, I tried tramp but Emacs crashed. I try to
> google related information, but it seems nothing special.
>
> Is it possible to use tramp under Windows XP?

It should be.

If Emacs crashed then please send a bug report.

* Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
@ 2009-10-27 20:26   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9580.1256675258.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-27 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.10.2009 um 18:18 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

>> Is it possible to use tramp under Windows XP?
>
> It should be.

It definitely does. All you need is PuTTY. Configured.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
				- Groucho Marx

@ 2009-10-28 15:50     ` Theo R.
From: Theo R. @ 2009-10-28 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 28, 1:26 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 27.10.2009 um 18:18 schrieb Lennart Borgman:
>
> >> Is it possible to use tramp under WindowsXP?
>
> > It should be.
>
> It definitely does. All you need is PuTTY. Configured.

I'm using tramp to access my linux box from WinXP all the time. It
doesn't need PuTTY but uses windows FTP. The only problem I face with
not using PuTTY is that all new files are in dos format (annoyingly).

--
Theo.

* Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
@ 2009-10-28 15:58       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-10-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Theo R." <shortsightedsid@gmail.com> writes:

>> > It should be.
>>
>> It definitely does. All you need is PuTTY. Configured.
>
> I'm using tramp to access my linux box from WinXP all the time. It
> doesn't need PuTTY but uses windows FTP.

That would be ange-ftp rather than tramp which you are using.  Tramp
goes through a shell account, not ftp.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
@ 2009-10-28 20:55         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-10-28 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> "Theo R." <shortsightedsid@gmail.com> writes:

>>> It definitely does. All you need is PuTTY. Configured.
>>
>> I'm using tramp to access my linux box from WinXP all the time. It
>> doesn't need PuTTY but uses windows FTP.
>
> That would be ange-ftp rather than tramp which you are using.  Tramp
> goes through a shell account, not ftp.

Yeah and I can tell you from experience that the best way is to use
`plink'. Its one of the `putty' set of tools.

Google up the `putty download page'  and get putty, plink, pscp,
psftp'

All will be useful at some point.  In emacs, to use plink it very
similar to ange ftp

  /method:user@host:/path/file

  C-x C-f /plink:myuser@host:/some/directory/file
  (Where myuser is the user on `host', you will login as)

Plink as method works from vista too, where ssh as method never seems
to (for me).

Also the putty terminal.. if you want to ssh to windows, is quite a bit
nicer than the one with cygwin.

The one big calling card for a cygwin terminal (for me) is that it
speaks smb.. if you have shares setup on the network hosts.

cygwin terminal can do things like:  `cd //host/share'

I'm told you can get smb (as method) to work in tramp too but I
haven't been able too. But since I had an array of other methods.. I
didn't try all that hard.

* Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
@ 2009-10-31  4:06           ` Will Willis
From: Will Willis @ 2009-10-31  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs