* no meta key in Windows
@ 2006-09-15 13:47 Ryan Krauss
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-09-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a Linux using running windows in my office somewhat against my will.

I am having some trouble getting windows emacs to behave like the
emacs setup I have in Ubuntu.

But my biggest problem right now is that I don't seem to have a meta
key.  I installed emacs from:

emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

and then ran addpm.exe.

Is there something more I need to do?  alt-delete just beeps at me and
doesn't kill the previous word.

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan

* Re: no meta key in Windows
       [not found] <mailman.6975.1158328063.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-15 14:05 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6989.1158347481.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-09-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryan Krauss" <ryanlists@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a Linux using running windows in my office somewhat against my
will.

> I am having some trouble getting windows emacs to behave like the
> emacs setup I have in Ubuntu.
>
> But my biggest problem right now is that I don't seem to have a meta
> key.  I installed emacs from:
>
> emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
>
> and then ran addpm.exe.
>
> Is there something more I need to do?  alt-delete just beeps at me and
> doesn't kill the previous word.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan
> Ryan

See if w32-alt-is-meta is nil. It should be t but I don't remember when
this was set. It's not in my .emacs.

Ed

* Re: no meta key in Windows
@ 2006-09-15 19:11   ` Ryan Krauss
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6989.1158347481.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-09-15 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I typed w32-alt-is-meta into a scratch buffer and hit C-j and got

So, I think I have a meta key.

I alt-backspace does what alt-delete does on my keyboard at home (kill
previous word).  How I make alt-del do what alt-backspace does?

Thanks,

Ryan

On 9/15/06, B. T. Raven <ecinmn@alcisp.com> wrote:

> "Ryan Krauss" <ryanlists@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am a Linux using running windows in my office somewhat against my
> will.
> >
> > I am having some trouble getting windows emacs to behave like the
> > emacs setup I have in Ubuntu.
> >
> > But my biggest problem right now is that I don't seem to have a meta
> > key.  I installed emacs from:
> >
> > emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
> >
> > and then ran addpm.exe.
> >
> > Is there something more I need to do?  alt-delete just beeps at me and
> > doesn't kill the previous word.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ryan
> > Ryan
> >

> See if w32-alt-is-meta is nil. It should be t but I don't remember when
> this was set. It's not in my .emacs.
>
> Ed

* Re: no meta key in Windows
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6989.1158347481.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-16  0:56     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-09-16  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-h k reports:

for alt-delete
M-d runs the command kill-word

for alt-backspace
M-DEL runs the command undo

but this is because I have

 '(delete-selection-mode t nil (delsel))
 '(pc-selection-mode t nil (pc-select)

under custom-set-variables.

If you just installed the binaries then you shouldn't have a .emacs
initfile yet, but run emacs -q just to see if that helps.

C-<backspace> will probably run backward-kill-word.