* ECB and method completion
@ 2008-02-23 16:44 Alain Muls
From: Alain Muls @ 2008-02-23 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Hi

I would like to use ECB in replacement of SlickEdit, since I use Emacs
for all editing, such as latex.
At present I am testing ECB out on an existing SlickEdit project. It
looks promising, but I caanot find a way to have ECB suggest or expand
methods? What I mean is this:

Suppose I have a class AAA

class AAA: public QString
{
  QString getValue();
  void setValue(char *s);

private:
  QString mValue;
};

If I use this class somewhere, I would like to have ECB suggest the
public functions/methods/variables
e.g. If I type

AAA mA;

mA.

after the point I would like ECB to propose the getValue or setValue
methods.
Is thi spossible?

And is it also possible to have all methods of QT4 being scanned so that
this would also become possible with QT4 methods and such.

Tx/Alain

--
--------------------
Alain Muls

* Re: ECB and method completion
       [not found] <mailman.7829.1203785102.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-26 10:16 ` Arne Schmitz
From: Arne Schmitz @ 2008-02-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alain Muls wrote:

> If I use this class somewhere, I would like to have ECB suggest the
> public functions/methods/variables

That is not the point of ECB. You might want to try either GNU Global with
the Emacs xgtags.el or Semantic. GNU Global is very fast, but gives
completions that are semantically not always correct, whereas Semantic is a
bit tricky to set up, rather slow in parsing large projects but gives
semantically correct completions and type information.

Arne

--
[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]

* Re: ECB and method completion
@ 2008-02-26 12:50   ` Arne Schmitz
From: Arne Schmitz @ 2008-02-26 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alain Muls wrote:

>>> If I use this class somewhere, I would like to have ECB suggest the
>>> public functions/methods/variables
>>
>> That is not the point of ECB. You might want to try either GNU Global
>> with the Emacs xgtags.el or Semantic. GNU Global is very fast, but gives
>> completions that are semantically not always correct, whereas Semantic is
>> a bit tricky to set up, rather slow in parsing large projects but gives
>> semantically correct completions and type information.
>
> tx for your suggestions.
> I have never heard of GNU Global, do you have a reference?
> And as well for setting up semantic

GNU Global has its home at [1], and the Emacs mode can be found at [2].
Semantic can be found at [3], which also has a so-so active mailing list.
Make sure to get the CVS version of CEDET, since there are several
bugfixes, which are not incorporated in the last release.

Arne

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/global/
[2] http://home.tiscali.de/mgidde/Emacs.html
[3] http://cedet.sourceforge.net/