* Any tips on maintaining two differently configured daemons
@ 2020-04-18 18:43 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-18 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MLEmacs

Using GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)

on ubuntu 16.04

I have a a specialized console configuration running as a daemon and I
configured ubuntu so that emacsclient will be my system editor.

I also run emacs as a gui instance, using .emacs.d/init.el as the
configuration path. I intend to set this gui instance up as a daemon
also. Not that it loads slow, I've got a solid-state drive.

Since it seems like I'm constantly tinkering with emacs, it is
inevitable that I will end up modifying and reloading packages and other
elisp files. Some of those will be shared by both instances.

Any caveats or gotchas I should watch out for?

thanks

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Any tips on maintaining two differently configured daemons
@ 2020-04-19 21:10 ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-19 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/18/20 10:43 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Using GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)
>
> on ubuntu 16.04
>
> I have a a specialized console configuration running as a daemon and I
> configured ubuntu so that emacsclient will be my system editor.
>
> I also run emacs as a gui instance, using .emacs.d/init.el as the
> configuration path. I intend to set this gui instance up as a daemon
> also. Not that it loads slow, I've got a solid-state drive.
>
> Since it seems like I'm constantly tinkering with emacs, it is
> inevitable that I will end up modifying and reloading packages and
> other elisp files. Some of those will be shared by both instances.
>
> Any caveats or gotchas I should watch out for?

I probably should fine-tune this question by a more specific example:

My daemon config of emacs uses ~/.emacs.d/init_term.el is the init file.
Which in turn loads several byte-compiled elisp files via 'require

Suppose that I byte compile one of those files via my gui instance of
emacs, currently running as non-daemon. If I apply load-file to
~/.emacs.d/init_term.el, should I not expect those dependent elisp files
to be sourced as well? I might assume so, but since I am new to using
daemon mode, I would want to insure that is the case.

--
Tim
tj49.com