* Ange-ftp: Getting files with no extension on dumb hosts
@ 2008-10-08 21:41 Eric
From: Eric @ 2008-10-08 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I have already asked this question on the ange mailing list and did
not get a response. I am hoping that since it is an Emacs package,
some of you may have already solved this problem (even though it isn't
an Emacs problem).

I'm having trouble using ange-ftp to get files with no extensions from
a "dumb host". The host doesn't support any flags on ls commands
(although simply 'ls <filename_filter>' works), so I added it to
ange's dumb host list.

However, I can't open files without an extension. This seems to be
because ange treats these as directories and tries to list their
contents with a DIR command. I looked briefly through the lisp, but
nothing jumped out at me as an easy way to force ange to treat a
certain path as a file rather than a directory.

Any suggestions for doing this? (Should I be treating my host as
something other than a dumb host?)