From: "Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: file name completition problem
Date: 13 Sep 2002 10:57:17 -0400	[thread overview]

>> i am using emacs 21.2 and i  have got a problem with the TAB file name
>> completition. when i try to extend an existing filename i just get [no
>> match].  i tried 21.1 but got the same problem.
> Emacs seems to sort out certain file names doing tab completion
> (e.g. *.toc IIRC in AUCTeX), can it be that? Which kinds of files has
> you tried to complete? I do not know which variable it is that
> controls this behaviour.

It's completion-ignored-extensions, but it's not the problem because that
variable will never cause a "no match": if the only match is a file with
one of the ignored extensions, then the file is still selected.
I.e. those ignored files are only ignored as long as there's some other
file that matches the current prefix.  So it doesn't really ignore, but
just gives preference to other files.