From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Not reloading the desktop; already loaded
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:27:12 -0800	[thread overview]

On 10/27/22 10:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 14:41:42 -0800
>> From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
>>
>> I have written my own project management module using 'desktop.
>> If I have loaded a desktop file for a project and attempt to switch to a
>> different project
>> I get the following message:
>>
>> "Not reloading the desktop; already loaded"
>>
>> and the loading of the second desktop file is suppressed.
>>
>> I suspect that the problem will be solved by customizing 'desktop,
>> but do not know how to proceed.
> Look at the code which issues this message:
>
>    (if (or noninteractive
>            (and (desktop-owner)
>                 (= (desktop-owner) (emacs-pid))))
>        (message "Not reloading the desktop%s"
>                 (if noninteractive
>                     ""
>                   "; already loaded"))
Thank you for the reply Eli
I have for years just deleted .emacs.desktop.lock, it works for me and
and I wasn't switching projects all that often. However, I would prefer
a more
emacsen approach, so bottom-posting your content:
> I assume yours is an interactive (i.e., no "--batch") session, so the
> condition that applies in your case is the one about the "owner" of
> the desktop file.  So the problem is that the desktop file was (of
> course) written by the same Emacs process as the current one, and you
> need to work around that.  One way is to override the definition of
> desktop-owner.
How would I do that? (feel free to point to documentation and I will
also search
on your last phrase)
>    Another way is to release the desktop file lock before
> you load the second one, and then re-lock it afterwards.
Again: how would I do that?
>   And there
> are probably others.
Sure, such as use elisp instead of bash to delete the file lock ...
cheers

--
Tim
tj49.com