From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Adjusting page length in "Print buffer" command
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:38:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 17.01.2005 um 07:04 schrieb Tim McNamara:

> So my best guess is that, if I want to change the number of lines per
> page I would enter something like (assuming the parentheses are
> necessary):
>
>      ("-l" "50")
>
> to invoke "pr" with the "-l" flag, specifying 50 lines per page?

No, the parentheses and quotation marks are too much. In the
customization buffer make it look like this:

Lpr Page Header Switches: [Hide Value]
[INS] [DEL] String: -F -l 50 -w 60
[INS]
    [State]: this option has been set and saved.

So a page would have 50 line and each one would have up to 50
characters. Then a form-feed (^L) would be inserted to go to the enxt
page. Converting it to PostScript would convert it to corresponding PS
commands.

After you made the changes don't forget to save it least for this
session. That's the moment to try it. If works you should save it for
future sessions too, if not you have to iterate the settings for the #
of lines and characters per line.

Once the values are saved you can visit them in .emacs in the
custom-set-variables section. There you would see

  '(lpr-page-header-switches (quote ("-F -l 50 -w 60")))
  '(ps-paper-type "a4")
                    ^

should better be letter or such non-ISO value
--
Greetings

   Pete

"A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience."
Doug Larson