* emacs commans output in column mode.
@ 2015-05-23 18:29 bharat.jhaveri9
       [not found] ` <mailman.3547.1432410257.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bharat.jhaveri9 @ 2015-05-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I need some help in outputting output of commands in emacs shell mode. For example, if I give "df" command in shell, I get nice columnized output. But when I give the same "df" command in emacs shell mode, the output is not columnized. I am a newbie with emacs, so please give detail help how should I customize .emacs file.

Thanks.

jhaveri

* Re: emacs commans output in column mode.
@ 2015-05-23 19:43 ` John Mastro
       [not found] ` <mailman.3547.1432410257.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Mastro @ 2015-05-23 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bharat.jhaveri9, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

<bharat.jhaveri9@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need some help in outputting output of commands in emacs shell mode.
> For example, if I give "df" command in shell, I get nice columnized
> output. But when I give the same "df" command in emacs shell mode, the
> output is not columnized. I am a newbie with emacs, so please give
> detail help how should I customize .emacs file.

I see output in columns either way. As far as I know, no customization
is necessary for that (and I would be surprised if there was, since the
output is already in columns when Emacs gets it).

What version of Emacs are you using and which shell mode are you using
(e.g. M-x shell, M-x eshell)?

And, just as a long shot, is it possible the font you're using in Emacs
isn't monospaced?

--
john

@ 2015-05-23 19:52   ` bharat.jhaveri9
From: bharat.jhaveri9 @ 2015-05-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 11:44:20 AM UTC-8, John Mastro wrote:
> <bharat.jhaveri9@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I need some help in outputting output of commands in emacs shell mode.
> > For example, if I give "df" command in shell, I get nice columnized
> > output. But when I give the same "df" command in emacs shell mode, the
> > output is not columnized. I am a newbie with emacs, so please give
> > detail help how should I customize .emacs file.
>
> I see output in columns either way. As far as I know, no customization
> is necessary for that (and I would be surprised if there was, since the
> output is already in columns when Emacs gets it).
>
> What version of Emacs are you using and which shell mode are you using
> (e.g. M-x shell, M-x eshell)?
>
> And, just as a long shot, is it possible the font you're using in Emacs
> isn't monospaced?
>
> --
> john

Thanks John. I am using emacs 23.4.1 on Debian on banana pro arm 7. I just use M-x shell.

The output is not in column mode of commads such as df or even directory listings. They do not line up.

* Re: emacs commans output in column mode.
@ 2015-05-23 19:57     ` jhaveri
From: jhaveri @ 2015-05-23 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 11:52:21 AM UTC-8, bharat....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 11:44:20 AM UTC-8, John Mastro wrote:
> > <bharat.jhaveri9@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I need some help in outputting output of commands in emacs shell mode.
> > > For example, if I give "df" command in shell, I get nice columnized
> > > output. But when I give the same "df" command in emacs shell mode, the
> > > output is not columnized. I am a newbie with emacs, so please give
> > > detail help how should I customize .emacs file.
> >
> > I see output in columns either way. As far as I know, no customization
> > is necessary for that (and I would be surprised if there was, since the
> > output is already in columns when Emacs gets it).
> >
> > What version of Emacs are you using and which shell mode are you using
> > (e.g. M-x shell, M-x eshell)?
> >
> > And, just as a long shot, is it possible the font you're using in Emacs
> > isn't monospaced?
> >
> > --
> > john
>
> Thanks John. I am using emacs 23.4.1 on Debian on banana pro arm 7. I just use M-x shell.
>
> The output is not in column mode of commads such as df or even directory listings. They do not line up.

It worked. My fonts were not monospaced. Once I used monospaced font. Everything lines up nicely. Thnaks for helping solve this John.